2020 Olympics: Non- Gymnastics Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ledecky is absolutely all that is good about elite athletes. Can’t route for her enough. And glad that her best events are distance swims, she can absolutely stay competitive for 2 more games at the 800 and 1500.

Very nice grappling from Lucas Krpalek in judo.

So here’s a question. Why does USA BMX rider Nick Bruce get to not compete today (literally drank water and laughed for his 60 sec run times) and gets praised by commentators for saving himself for finals tmrw, when Biles gets crucified for making a tough decision to withdraw to save an American medal and possibly her life….

Well, generally, the people criticizing Simone fall into two overlapping categories: racists and morons. Maybe a third category that are sexists (sorry, there was an autocorrect to “serious” that I didn’t initially catch). Most of the haters are all three. (They do seem to be the minority, they are just super loud and are being amplified by press that thrives on controversy even if they have to create it)

I’m guessing the bike rider is white.

Last edited:
There is a small subset in USA of gym parents who worry their level 8 gymnast will now balk on vault and they won’t get to yell at them for it.

My friend is a 2x olympic rower for Canada (London and Rio) and the training is just absolutely next level too. Just hours on hours on hours of running, biking, erg, weights, and on the water time. Nothing about it looked fun, I have to say!

I’m watching some track and field and there are some amazing performances happening. Also, the little stripes on the Nike shorts are very…distracting. Yeah, it is the stripes and uh, nothing else!. 😉

Also, the swimmers shave off all body hair to get speed but in running so many of the women (and some of the men) have tons of hair, does it not cause drag? (I mean, obviously not for the Jamaicans, but could they go faster if they had their hair slicked back into swimcaps?)

Last edited:
I just found out the modern pentathlon is a thing, and now I’m so curious to check it out on August 5th.

Fencing, freestyle swimming, equestrian show jumping with an unfamiliar horse you have 20 min to bond with, 3200 km of running with 5 pistol shots every 800 km.

I love diving. I wish I could find a knowledgeable, thriving message board for it. I googled diving forum and all I can find is scuba diving and the like.

Meters, not km for the pentathlon. If it was km, they should have started a few weeks ago! 😉

Now I am watching the horsies jump. Generally I am not a fan of the horsies in the Olympics since they are the ones doing most of the work, but they are so pretty, so, eh, whatevs. Team Keep the Horsies!

Last edited:
Same and same. It’s hard to really get into it when you can’t find a place to really learn and talk with knowledgeable posters.

Stayed up kind of late last night to catch up a bit on sailing. It was actually quite incredible. It didn’t bug me that the boats were so small. I had wanted to see something with a crew of five or so. Not dinghy-level but not AC45, either (I love the America’s Cup, but wish the boats were maybe half as big. They’d be somewhat more relatable).

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back