Tom Forster resigns

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Hmm I’m not sure that Valeri is completely out of the race. I think it depends what the outcome of the safe sport investigation will be. They clearly want him, and he’s one of very few with the credentials who seems to want the job.

Unfortunately, if there’s anybody that has the capability to do the job and keep the USA as a gold medal-winning team without a history of abusive coaching practices, they’re going to be smart enough to not take the role.

HPD is still an open position …that is who is normally considered head of delegation/head coach. Since it is vacant, they need someone in the role. Valeri has the most experience I believe.

Annie Heffernon should probably go as this role but I wonder if USAG is just saving a few dollars.

I am on the fence if coaches should be temporarily suspended due to being under investigation. Educators are immediately put on suspension if they are being investigated on something. But we know from experience that USAG and coaches are not mandated reporters so I guess they can still coach pending investigation.

Either way you feel it is definitely NOT a good look for USAG to have coaches on competition floor coaching while they are under investigation. Let them coach in their home gym probably but they shouldn’t be appearing at competition meets.

The fact remains that no one in any country has managed to attain gymnastics dominance without questionable practices. It manifests differently in different countries, but I’m not actually sure it’s possible
Once again MC, I find myself sorry to have to agree with you. 🙂 And it’s not just in gymnastics. I think it is without question a fact. But this calls for deep and serious conversation. Does it mean we abandon our quest for dominance — at least in sports where the athletes are for the most part very young?

Last edited:
It manifests differently in different countries, but I’m not actually sure it’s possible
Yeah i wonder if it’s the age thing though? Cause it certainly looks better in mag than wag?

It’s a difficult one, because many athletes are clearly able to handle it, thrive and be successful. For me there is a lack of parental responsibility. If your child’s sports training is in any way detrimental to their health or wellbeing, or you are unhappy with anything that is going on in the gym, then remove your child from that situation. Even if they’ll hate you for it. That doesn’t happen half as much as it shouldn’t.

In any elite sport, it is not enough to have the physical ability, you have to have the right emotional resilience too.

It’s different in mag. If anything it can be worse. Not uncommon here for physical punishment including hitting of young boys, which the same coach would never do to the girls.

But certainly the lacking of race against the clock in MAG makes things different

Kupets was coached by Hill and was an elite during Marta’s early days. Even if she were having success at UGA, that would be an important consideration I think if USAG wants to find someone to start a new “culture” for the wag program.

Kupets was coached by Hill and was an elite during Marta’s early days. Even if she were having success at UGA, that would be an important consideration I think if USAG wants to find someone to start a new “culture” for the wag program.
I am not sure that linking someone to their former coach behaviors and insinuating they have the same philosophy is accurate or fair in this situation. If “Marta’s influence” is criteria on eliminating any potential high performance directors it will all but remove 90% of qualified applicants.

Kelli Hill was very outspoken against Bela and also somewhat of Marta and selection camps at first.
Kelli Hill has no allegations against her other than thinly veiled accusations that Dawes made mention of indirectly linking Hill to them.

For all we know Kupets experienced Marta’s regime and could be completely against that type of system.

Kupets is likely not even considering being a candidate and she might not be right for the job. Just something I toyed with in my mind.

If Rhonda Faehn can leave UF for VP of Women’s Gymnastics and she was highly successful at UF, CKC can also go the same route. As Doug said, the HPD is more PR now a days with Marta’s era over and never to be returned to.

Has Kupets ever spoken out against the abuse she suffered? She competed at the Olympics with a stress fractured hip and made out at the time that it was no big deal and that injury was not an excuse for her “underperforming” at the games

Dominique Dawes has been the only Hill’s gymnast to allude to any abuse and Kupets hasn’t said anything about Marta’s camps, IIRC.

Kupets continuing to compete while injured was her decision. Not Marta’s decision.

Kupets said she couldn’t do beam in team finals and Marta listened to her and didn’t force her to compete. She subbed in Mohini. Kupets then said she could do floor so Marta let her.

The decision to compete in the AA was Kupets and if you listen to Kelli Hill comments after Kuepts finishes floor, Courtney said she was glad she did it (meaning competing AA instead of withdrawing).

Of course she went on to compete for UB and got bronze.

Lots of athletes in sports compete injured and it is not considered abuse. If you CAN physically compete but slightly injured you make the choice. Withdraw or fulfil your dream.

Danusia Francis was too injured to compete but she still went and did some bars so she could truly say she was an Olympian. That was her choice.

Lots of athletes in sports compete injured and it is not considered abuse.
That is absolutely true. Injury is just part of being an athlete . There are times when its just too risky to compete with certain injuries. But MANY athletes push through in spite of even bad injuries. It becomes abuse when the choice is taken away from the athlete, when they are bullied and berated into competing when injured and/or when they are allowed to compete in spite of an injury which makes competing way too dangerous.

Last edited:
Also, some of her social media efforts in the not very distant past have made Lori Forster’s pre TFs Facebook rant look almost sensible.

I was curious and will probably never know if the tone of Cecile’s social media exchanges had any effect in her consideration.

Anyone who might end up in that position better be careful with what they put out there.

It has been mentioned before of the need for the HPC to work closely with a senior judge who is willing to give frank guidance about routine composition. Perhaps that is something that the combination of Mihai and Sylvia can bring to the table.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back