Tom Forster resigns

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yes, not that I know him or anything but he never came off as having ambitions beyond WOGA.

Why is everybody so negative about Domi? I’d think she’d be rather SMÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜÜTH running this gig

Courtney Kupets Carter trying for the position makes sense. She can’t be at the GA gymdogs much longer given their record. (Of course, I wonder if she is up to scratch for the position given the Gymdogs record under her.)

But her coaching and team management experience is entirely under the NCAA sphere, No? Surely a huge risk in appointing a coach whom by NCAA standards is inexperienced and not particularly successful and who’s involvement in elite gymnastics has been solely as a teenage athlete?

HPD is more about managing a team and coming up with training plans and line ups. It is also working with personal coaches.

I don’t think the UGA record would be anything held against her.
Jay Clark was the brains behind recruitment and when he went, the recruitment went also.
Durante then took over for five years before Kupets-Carter and between Jay and Danna the program slipped and were no longer able to bring in high end recruits necessary to stay at the top. You can’t bring in the best recruits if you aren’t winning.

Not to mention the various injuries that have occurred to the team, which is always barely able to fill line ups.
Additionally, last year’s freshman class is the first one recruited by Kupets-Carter IIRC, the others were recruited by Durante.

We have agreed that HPD isn’t necessarily needed, but it is a role that is going to be in place.
HPD for USAG is completely different than head coach of an NCAA team. For one, there is no competition for recruits. There will be injuries, but NCAA is more common for injuries as the gymnasts get older.

I think HPD has to be PR savvy but also act as a motivator and be someone the NT looks up to and respects. Unlike Forster who had zero of this.

Last edited:
Jay was head coach for three seasons, and it was a disaster, imo. And my understanding was the Jay did very little recruiting while head coach, so Danna inherited a program that hadn’t done a good job of recruiting and missed actually missed national entirely in 2010. Danna’s not great, but she had much better results than Jay. Anyways…

Still don’t buy that CKC is a good choice for the USAG job.

But her coaching and team management experience is entirely under the NCAA sphere, No? Surely a huge risk in appointing a coach whom by NCAA standards is inexperienced and not particularly successful and who’s involvement in elite gymnastics has been solely as a teenage athlete?
Agreed. I just can not see her as a viable candidate.

It depends how USAG sees the job. Does she have experience talking to the media without denigrating athletes or sticking her foot in her mouth? Does she have skeletons in the closet as far as her coaching-style goes? (being a horrible person or calling gymnasts fat or making them train injured.) I don’t follow the Gymdogs closely enough to know the answers to those questions.

I don’t think she would be great, but I don’t think we have a large pool of talented coaches who want the job or are willing to put up with the scrutiny that comes with the job.

Last edited:
I mean, had Tom even been to the Olympics before Tokyo? No. Kupets had…

This new role is more PR that anything. I think Kupets would be great.

I didn’t know Cecile had out her name forth for the position. “ Liukin continued to be considered by USA Gymnastics as the women’s national team high-performance director even after Cecile Canqueteau-Landi, coach of four-time Olympic and 19-time World champion Simone Biles, was informed she was no longer being considered for the position, according to three people familiar with the process.” Thanks to Doug for the article.

Last edited:
I think a lot of people are underestimatung the role of a HPD, especially for a country as big as the US. If they do not find someone strong and knowledgable, the program will quickly go where it used to be. Good for a team medal but might as well place 6th. The personal coaches are not able to always see the bigger picture and if someone does not stir them into the right direction, you can have the most talented gymnasts and still not be in contention for team gold, which should be the goal for the US.
While Martha made a lot of mistakes in that regard, she eventually figured out a way to team gold. Strategically, a HPD can do much better but they still need to have a strong personality and be respected (and a little bit feared…in a good way) by the personal coaches and the gymnasts. I see why Valeri is the obvious choice. There just isn’t anyone else who comes close in knowledge, respect and is also respected internationally. Which is far more important than most of you realize.

edited to add…I am against Valeri because I think what he did was horrible and I do not think he is a good person at all…but I understand why USAG has been trying to get away with him…

Last edited:
Me neither, I wonder how/if she was planning to manage any potential conflict of interest given that she’s married to another elite coach.

think a lot of people are underestimatung the role of a HPD, especially for a country as big as the US. If they do not find someone strong and knowledgable, the program will quickly go where it used to be. Good for a team medal but might as well place 6th. The personal coaches are not able to always see the bigger picture and if someone does not stir them into the right direction, you can have the most talented gymnasts and still not be in contention for team gold, which should be the goal for the US.
While Martha made a lot of mistakes in that regard, she eventually figured out a way to team gold. Strategically, a HPD can do much better but they still need to have a strong personality and be respected (and a little bit feared…in a good way) by the personal coaches and the gymnasts. I see why Valeri is the obvious choice. There just isn’t anyone else who comes close in knowledge, respect and is also respected internationally. Which is far more important than most of you realize.

edited to add…I am against Valeri because I think what he did was horrible and I do not think he is a good person at all…but I understand why USAG has been trying to get away with him…
I think you are spot on with all of this.

But , still Valeri is ultimately not the right choice. So the question remains. Who is?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back