Theme Upgrade (Starship Time)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’ll read on my phone, but I post almost solely on a laptop. The reply box and the keyboard heavily overlap on my phone and it’s just not worth the effort when I can wait a little and type easily

The old forum layout is so much better, thank goodness it’s still an option. I hate the trend of sites making one video/topic take up most of the page.
I’d be very concerned that the more occasional posters will log in during the next big event, see the format change and find it too much work to find what they want, and they won’t come back.
Yeah I think this new theme is a disaster, I don’t see who it’s supposed to help. People should be able to find topics as easy as possible.

I’m relatively new to the forum and don’t post much as I’ve never done gymnastics myself and don’t have technical judging knowledge. I really like it here, though - I started out reading Reddit and still lurk there, but find it almost intolerably pious and political, to the detriment of conversation. (I know there are sometimes political-ish discussions here, but they’re, as far as I can see, at once more diverse, more robust and more tolerant.)

I feel like that sounds as if I’m trying to make an “anti-woke” point, and I’m really not, it’s just… something undefinable about the culture of gym Reddit, that’s harder to pin down than any buzzword of that nature. The discussions here feel - in a way, more honest? Even if I rarely feel like I can actually contribute much, if anything.

I did have to revert to the OG theme, though, haha. I’m in my early thirties and so was a very early adopter of Facebook, and perhaps ought to be in favour of a more social-style layout. However, clearly I am not with-it any more as I still have great fondness for older forum layouts!

I’m glad you’re here, and I hope you’ll feel comfortable posting more! Sometimes the best insights come from “outsiders” who make us step back, step outside our bubble, and make us think.

Welcome deleted member 408!

I like the traditional forum layout much more than Reddit types or Twitter. It’s easier to find your place or threads you want to read. I use my iPhone for everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m relatively new to the forum and don’t post much as I’ve never done gymnastics myself and don’t have technical judging knowledge.
Welcome.
Feel free to post whenever.

I was not as knowledgeable in 2006 when I joined the original board as I am today (17 years later).

We have a family vibe here, and while we don’t always agree with each, we overall respect each other (and have no problem calling each other out like true siblings).

It was interacting with other members that I learned more about the sport I loved. Especially the technical and judging aspects.

Please post whenever you want, it is a great place to ask questions too!

I agree, I am with the traditional, message board format since I have been on these things since 1997.

I feel like that sounds as if I’m trying to make an “anti-woke” point, and I’m really not, it’s just… something undefinable about the culture of gym Reddit, that’s harder to pin down than any buzzword of that nature. The discussions here feel - in a way, more honest? Even if I rarely feel like I can actually contribute much, if anything.
Performative, maybe?

Anyway, welcome! There’s definitely no need to be an expert to post here - there are many ways to contribute to the conversation! I’m definitely far from an expert on most things gym related.

I use the OG theme but was switching back and forth to modern to check how posts show up on there and I just noticed that on OG theme when you link to a tweet it shows the whole tweet, but on modern it just shows the hyperlink. This whole time I’ve been posting tweets thinking people could see the whole thing the same way I’m seeing it but anyone on modern would be just seeing a text hyperlink.

Could modern show the full tweet too? If not I could just start screenshotting tweets instead, that way everyone is seeing the same thing.

I can’t get them to work on either theme right now. Twitter (X) has changed it’s API and our software is now struggling to correctly embed Twitter posts. The older posts that already have Twitter links embedded should still work… but I can’t get the new ones to work.

Are they still embedding for you?

Yes, it’s still working to embed for me on the OG theme. I can see the whole tweet I linked above.

ETA: I can see it on my desktop (using chrome) and on my phone (using safari.)

Last edited:
Wow… that’s crazy weird… I see what you are saying… when I switch themes I can see it too.

Ok… I’m going to have to do some research for this.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back