The RUDE announcer 2023 Worlds

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denn

Staff member
Defender
The Belgian announcer is CONSTANTLY saying the guys’ names while they are competing.

Someone needs to tell him to shut the fuck up. It’s rude and disrespectful.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dislike the recent trend of announcers providing commentary for the audience. I like this guy’s accent though, so it ranks below Carol Angela-Orchard in Montreal on the irritating scale.

I loved what the Dutch fed did with 2010 worlds. They just announced the athlete before then thanked them after their routine. I know they thanked Aliya in Russian, I can’t remember if they did that for every countries’ language. That would’ve been cool.

Last edited:
Agreed. It seems to be a weird ploy to keep the audience engaged, though I don’t know why that would be necessary? Are gymnastics competitions like the World Championships having trouble selling tickets, generally? (I know Doha was a little weird.)

It seems to be getting progressively more rude and annoying.

they are not selling many tickets. Following their insta update on 21 August only 10% of mens qualifications has been sold, 30% of women qualification, 10% of mens’s team finals, 37% of women’s team final, 10% of AA men, 95% of women AA, apparatus final 53% (day 1) and 37% (day 2). Week pass is at 60%.
I am not at the stadium, so no clue how it looks like.
Last week they were giving discount if you bought some.

It’s worse than you think.

The announcer is the same one who did Antwerp in 2013.

According to someone who was there and speaks French…in French he said kind of wished for Sam Mikulak to fall. I guess he got his wish, but really?

I’m surprised you guys say it looks empty. The Women’s Qual wasn’t.

It was a LOT busier for WAG quals. Probably about 90%. We’ll see how it is tomorrow given it’s a weekday.

I’m worried that the announcer saying someone’s name during their routine may be dangerous and result in potentially serious injury.

Last edited:
Between that and the dark lighting that is frankly less safe for athletes who need to, you know, see while doing risky skills and seating the judges out of audience view but also in a spot that is less good for their view, I’m pretty irked that the tendency to treat gymnastics as some kind of circus instead of a sport hasn’t gone away.

Between that and the dark lighting that is frankly less safe for athletes who need to, you know, see while doing risky skills and seating the judges out of audience view but also in a spot that is less good for their view, I’m pretty irked that the tendency to treat gymnastics as some kind of circus instead of a sport hasn’t gone away.
It also effects gymnasts who have vision problems. Andrade has stated that she cannot see the vault or beam too well when she competes because she wears glasses and tried contacts but contacts don’t "work’ for her. Having a dark competition hall makes it dangerous for these athetes.

Yikes. Maybe we will see her go all Morgan Hurd on us before the end of the week!

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back