Shoko Miyata- out for discipline violation?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I just feel terribly for all the athletes. Miyata for such severe repricussions and the way she'll blamed if the team does poorly and the stress she was under. The rest of the team with all the stress they're under now. Sugihara for not getting to be named to the team even now. There are no good points here.

It does seem to be correct that they would need IOC permission (and wouldn't be likely to get it).

You can't sub in alternates after 8th July without permission from the IOC.

There has to be injury/ illness / doping / extraordinary cause to get permission.

Good point @phoenix7 maybe the JOC said no because the IOC would have said no.
But one could argue, that drinking alcohol/smoking during training up to the Olympics could be an extraordinary cause, as it can be a safety issue, IF she was consuming alcohol. JGA really shot themselves in the feet/jumped the gun. But then again, JGA might have dismissed Miyata even if they asked JOC and were told no replacement. Certainly an odd scenario.

Also, WELCOME to the board!

Someone over on Reddit looked through the Japanese codes of conduct and found that the rules for smoking began in 2016, with gradual implementation. They provide a PDF reference doc (in Japanese)

It always amazes me that someone like Kohei Uchimura(or any high level athlete) smokes... do any of the US gymnasts?
Kevin Tan did (2008 MAG Olympic team member).

I'm not aware of any US MAG who smokes (doesn't mean any don't). I kind of doubt any do. Smoking has become less common in the US in general.

Most of the US MAG seem incredibly diet and health-conscious. Japan still kicks our butt.

Kohei not only smoked, but he claimed to hate all vegetables. His favorite food was chocolate.

Good point @phoenix7 maybe the JOC said no because the IOC would have said no.
But one could argue, that drinking alcohol/smoking during training up to the Olympics could be an extraordinary cause, as it can be a safety issue, IF she was consuming alcohol. JGA really shot themselves in the feet/jumped the gun. But then again, JGA might have dismissed Miyata even if they asked JOC and were told no replacement. Certainly an odd scenario.

Among the 10,000 or so athletes going to Paris there are probably hundreds who have had a drink or a smoke at some point in the weeks leading up to the games, so they can't really claim exceptional cause. And I don't think the rule is intended to include internal disciplinary matters.

I went to Japan TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO (insane to think it's been that long) as an exchange student. And plenty may have changed since then, but I was VERY surprised at the number of people who smoked. Far more than I ever encountered in the US.

I went to Japan TWENTY FIVE YEARS AGO (insane to think it's been that long) as an exchange student. And plenty may have changed since then, but I was VERY surprised at the number of people who smoked. Far more than I ever encountered in the US.
It was like that in 2006 when I was there for a study abroad. I'm sure things have changed, but I'm still surprised that an athlete smoking had such severe consequences.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back