Shilese Jones vs. Rebeca Andrade

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m still sour that Arkayev complained about her scores to the judges because that had to be the reason her scores plummeted as much as they did the next day of competition in the AA. It wasn’t just the judges getting better at seeing her deductions all of a sudden.
Arkayev was likely upset because Khorkina’s stalder 1 1/2 was downgraded from an E to a D, even though it was the correct evaluation. Also, to be fair, using the same standard, Memmel’s jam in prelims should have also been downgraded. Compared to her performances in prelims and the all-around, Memmel did a much better job of getting her jam to handstand in both team finals and event finals. Beginning in 2004, Chudy redesigned her routine to have enough bonus for a 10.0 SV even if the jam got downgraded from an E to a D.

She was injured at nationals… still competed, but had several falls and placed 9th-ish.

There were a number of falls that year. Hollie Vise was a surprise 2nd and auto spot to the team. Patterson was out too.

Last edited:
I’m sure it was because it was intended that there would be no overlap between worlds and pan ams teams

I was there and I’m glad she did that, the crowd was insanely into her and she had a whole cheering section that was visible from wherever you stood in the arena. I’m sure she still remembers it fondly.

It was a real shame that Patterson, Vise, and Postell (the latter out with the flu) all didn’t make beam finals.

With the 3 medalists (Fan Ye, Ponor, Yezhova) going lights out, where do you think those 3 Americans - had they made EF - would have placed?

Obviously no one was touching Fan Ye, but Patterson and Postell IMO could have medaled.

Last edited:
Patterson’s 9.612 from AA would’ve beaten Yezhova/Ponor. Vise’s 9.512 from TF wasn’t too far off from Yezhova’s 9.55. I’ve no idea about Postell.

Postell was doing the same routine that won her the World title, still with the slightly short triple full. I think she maxed out around 9.65, so there as no catching Fan Ye, but the silver and bronze were open for hit routines by solid beam workers with the “international look.”

Postell was doing the same routine that won her the World title, still with the slightly short triple full. I think she maxed out around 9.65,
She did get 9.800 on night two of nationals…USA scoring though. (Broken connection from tuck full to Omelianchik)

Other than that slight hiccup, it was one of her best routines.
This type of confident work, along with the home field advantage, would have definitely medaled and likely pushed Fan Ye.
A repeated night 2 of nationals without missing the one connection could have gone 9.7+ and possibly 9.8 territory.

I really don’t think so. Or to phrase it otherwise, if postell had gotten anywhere near that fan ye routine it would have been unfair. The quality of every skill is just not comparable, imo. Silver, sure, very possible

The Fan Ye routine was perhaps even under-scored at 9.812. But I still pout about our many gold medalists without a rebounding flight series, and I always will!

Yeah that’s absolutely a fair point. But it’s just a breathtaking routine. Every position, every landing. It really is one of the best pieces of gymnastics on beam we have seen in competition, considering both difficulty and execution.

Eta: i was looking for her qualis routine (9.712) and apparently all we have is this?

Last edited:
I will also say, I know, pauses and such, but I really enjoyed Chinese beam choreo around this time. I feel like it contributes to their look on the apparatus instead of the awkward “time to do side-filler, everybody” we have now

My daughter didn’t do this for you to slander today’s routines. There are many gymnasts with quality choreography. I think 1:03 cuts to a different routine because LYF’s music restarts

I am very confused. Your daughter? Also, the above routine, aka “all the variations of holding out your arms upwards, to the side or in front of you like you carrying invisible cups of coffee” is going to be a no for me, so sorry bout it

Where do you think Hatch would have placed in VT EF with her DTY and DTT?

I think it would have been close between her and Chusovitina for the gold.

Zamo’s (tie for silver with Kang Yun Mi) DTT by 2003 didn’t have the same power it used to.

Nah, I just really love Ou Yushan. She’s not my daughter; it’s zoomer lingo. There’s fantastic attention to detail, rhythm, and extension in this routine. We’re all entitled to our opinions, but I thought this was a universally beloved routine

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back