Shilese Jones vs. Rebeca Andrade

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah yeah, I’m aware. It’s just interesting apparently nobody ever did

To this day, I find it weird that her only individual Olympic medal is on beam — the event she was least known for, really (despite being great on it)

Last edited:
Back to the original topic, I think Jones has just a few more form issues than Andrade everywhere which is what separates them just that little bit more outside of difficulty. However, Andrade was a little more shaky than Jones last year, and with Jones stepping up her execution a bit more and adding more skills on beam + removing the DLO on FX, the gap is much smaller now. She can’t afford to have the same errors she did last year and expect to stay ahead if Jones has a similar performance as last year.

I think 2001 must have been when they started grouping the top qualifiers together starting the AA on VT and ending on FX.
Indeed it was. Kinda boring, if you ask me. The vast majority of medalists, period, are coming out of the top 6 group. I recall Koko Tsurumi in 2009 winning bronze started on bars. I’m coming up blank on anyone else. I’m on my phone, so I can’t go through prelims vs. finals results easily right now.

Larisa Iordache started on beam in 2015; Carly Patterson bars in 2003.

Last edited:
Yeah, Larisa having a bad qualifications but ending up in the medals was one i also remembered.

Thank you! I should have remembered Larisa. Not remembering Carly I will blame on the fact that it was 20(!!!) years ago.

Last edited:
I think 2001 must have been when they started grouping the top qualifiers together starting the AA on VT and ending on FX.
No, this didn’t happen until 2003 when it was changed to 2 per country and then 24 in the AA.

In 2001, they went down from 36 in the AA to 32 in the AA, but still 3 per country.
However, the FIG had a two flight all around final.
Session 1 was 17-32 (4 groups of 4, random draw) Marta Cuisido of Spain won that session.
Session 2 was 1-16 (4 groups of 4, random draw)

This was an experiment to try to make the finals run faster for TV and also group the top 16 who were supposed to be the medal contenders. IIRC. Cuisido who won session 1 finished in 11th.

The feedback for this was that the audience didn’t like the split sessions, the all around final was even longer due to the split sessions. The judges didn’t like the split sessions.

So, FIG, still determined to make the AA meet shorter and also more engaging with the tv and arena audiences went down to 6 in group, this way there was no mid rotation warm up. They also decided to seed the gymnasts so that the medal contenders were likely in vault or if not bars starting rotations. This made it easier for the TV crew to focus on. Occasionally someone ended up not doing so hot in qualifications and ended up outside of the top group. IIRC in 2003 Zhang Nan had a bad TQ and ended up qualifying in 19th place and was on FX to start and ended on beam.

Yes, because Patterson fell on her arabian double front beam dismount in Qualification and lost .5 bonus plus .5 for the fall and ended up with something like an 8.6, a full point lower than she’d score in the AA final when she got the Patterson named for her.

Without the fall on the ADF, Patterson would have easily qualified into the AA in 1st and also easily into BB finals.

The US women were a complete mess in team qualifications. They got 2 in bars finals and really missed out on a 2nd beam spot and also two floor spots.
IIRC Schwikert fell on UB, BB, FX. Kupets fell on floor (injury). Patterson fell off beam and had a large error on FX. Vise fell off BB.

I remember following TQ alongside International Gymnast’s website quickhits and being alarmed at the number of US falls and particular the balance beam rotation. Schwikert led off with the fall and then Vise and Patterson both fell off beam in the 4th and 5th spot. It was a good thing they had built up a huge lead from the 2nd rotation because beam pulled them down and they didn’t end well on floor.

Kupets fell on FX on her whip half to double front. But she tore her Achilles in between Qualification and team finals on an Arabian double front. She may have had another injury coming into Qualification, but if she did, I don’t remember what it was.

Yes, Qualification was such a mess for the U.S.

Elena Gomez surprisingly won Qualification IIRC. With Memmel second. ❤️

I like that her coach seems to be pacing her nicely

I remember the US team looking like a mess in prelims, and there’s Chellsie Memmel, who wasn’t even named to the team originally, calmly going out there and just hitting the shit out of every routine like it was no big deal.

And thus the legend of BAMF Chellsie was born.

And to add to it, Chellsie not only wasn’t originally named to the team, she wasn’t even first or second alternate. She was a last minute third alternate brought in because people were dropping like flies.

Humphrey and Sheehan were the two original alternates named. But then Postell got the flu, Hatch tore her ACL, and Sheehan was also injured. So they needed another alternate after Terin to be named to the team.

And then of course after Qualification, Kupets tore her Achilles so they were down again to five.

Not only did Chellsie finish second AA in Qualification, but she posted the highest AA score in Team Finals.

I’m still sour that Arkayev complained about her scores to the judges because that had to be the reason her scores plummeted as much as they did the next day of competition in the AA. It wasn’t just the judges getting better at seeing her deductions all of a sudden.

Thank Prod Chellsie still delivered an F-U bars gold despite that bullshit. BAMF.

And Chellsie had just competed Pan Ams.

And Chellsie had just competed Pan Ams.
Helped USA to team gold and won AA and bars, her performance in Santo Domingo is what prompted Marta to add her to the World team.

IIRC, Memmel flew from Santo Domingo directly to Anaheim.

@Beamer thank you for the clarification, I remembered Kupets had torn her achilles on floor but mixed it up with happening at qualifications and the training session between TQ and TF.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back