Resources

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

That’s such a brilliant resource.
I was having a think about which meets would have the most interest for a rewatch and discuss. Definitely Olympic team finals

That's an amazing comprehensive file. Much appreciation to the creator.

Also, what day would be best for the majority of us to participate and what frequency (e.g, every third Saturday of the month)?

That's an amazing comprehensive file. Much appreciation to the creator.

Also, what day would be best for the majority of us to participate and what frequency (e.g, every third Saturday of the month)?
I was thinking once a week, given that it would start in September and run through the winter when there won’t be very much else to discuss. I don’t think there particularly needs to be a set day though and some discussions may well run into subsequent weeks. If each meet has its own thread, it should work well

I was thinking that it would be nice to alternate juicy/well-worn competitions (e.g. 92 AA, 88 AA, 00 AA/TF etc) with underrated competitions that people might not have seen (e.g. 98 Euros EF, 03 US Nationals, key 80s/90s American cups etc). That way we get to spread out the classics and hopefully discover new gems.

Does the forum have a poll option? If so, maybe we could run them to help determine which meets to watch first.

I nominate the 1987 worlds AA intl feed, 2010 asian games, and the Sydney quad SCAMs.

Does the forum have a poll option? If so, maybe we could run them to help determine which meets to watch first.

I nominate the 1987 worlds AA intl feed, 2010 asian games, and the Sydney quad SCAMs.
There are too many competitions to have a meaningful poll I think. I was going to draw up some criteria for it. Such as there must be a decent quality video available on YouTube and there should be English language commentary. (Sorry, but no commentary or commentary you cannot understand is just too boring. Plus when looking as past meets, the commentary provides much of the historical context and points of discussion)

There are too many competitions to have a meaningful poll I think. I was going to draw up some criteria for it. Such as there must be a decent quality video available on YouTube and there should be English language commentary. (Sorry, but no commentary or commentary you cannot understand is just too boring. Plus when looking as past meets, the commentary provides much of the historical context and points of discussion)
Maybe just a poll to narrow it down to a certain quad. See what era everybody wants to revisit.

Maybe just a poll to narrow it down to a certain quad. See what era everybody wants to revisit.
Why would we want to restrict it to one quad?

For instance, I was thinking that different Olympic team finals would definitely be something we’d all like to discuss. Since we do so anyway, even in threads about the 2024 winter cup.

Sorry, no polls. If you really aren’t interested in a particular competition, just sit that week out. But the idea was that we’d revisit the sort of meets we’ve all seen but may have missed or forgotten things, or that time has put a different lens on it. Also, as I mentioned previously, it would be limited to good quality videos of a complete meet, with English language commentary. Which sadly rules out the most significant competition of all time, 2003 Russian championships.

Why is EN commentary a necessity? I don't need to listen to an EN commentator to base my opinion on an exercise presented and/or a score posted.
because much of the historical context and therefore, the points of discussion come from the commentary. That was my initial idea, that we’d watch an old meet, and let the discussion that it stimulates grow organically. Whether that be leotard fashions, team selection, the COP, our own memories of the time etc

It’s not intended to be a technical exercise in scoring/ranking routines. That sounds incredibly dull. If you prefer to watch without commentary, put it on mute

Last edited:
It ain't a 2000s US Nationals if you can't say "shut up, Al!"

One idea would be to start with a certain year, pick 1 comp, next week, go on to the next year, pick 1, and work up to the now then start over with different competitions. Another option would to pick a gymnast and "follow" them through competitions. Pick Catalina Ponor and watch the major comps she was at (with video available) in order to see her change as a gymnast (while also discussing the other gymnasts at the comp)

There are more competitions than days in the year (especially if you include NCAA) so there is probably no "right" way to do this but it would be interesting to start and adjust as we go. I'm guessing people will want something to watch on Fridays when the NCAA season ends if there is no other competition happening so there might not be a need to wait til after the Olympics.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back