Reddit site gone off the grid (r/gymnastics)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Rich

Hi do you know what is going on with the reddit site? They are protesting price increases and have gone dark?

Last edited by a moderator:
To the best of my understanding, it is to protest changes in Reddit’s API that will affect peoples’ ability to access the site using third-party apps. A lot of subs are going dark today and possibly tomorrow (not sure). A few are going private for an indeterminate period.

It varies by subreddit. Some will be back on Wednesday and others plan to stay dark until the changes are walked back (or permanently). If the mod bots are affected like people are afraid they will be, a lot of mods will walk.

Does anyone here use third-party apps for reddit? I don’t so I don’t understand all the hoopla. I’ve heard third-party moderation tools are a major part of the issue at hand.

Yeah, apparently those tools reduce the load on mods (which is heavier than I would have guessed, but internet gonna internet I suppose). Another fairly big concern is that the Reddit app is not accessible to visually-impaired users. I assume that this is a relatively small group, but not accommodating their needs seems like a dick move.

The other issue is that many users prefer third-party apps because they offer a better interface and/or ad blocking. TBH this is probably the group I have the least sympathy for; I mean, the company needs to generate revenue, and the ads are much less obnoxious than elsewhere on the internet.

As for r/gymnastics, I’m starting to feel a bit irked that they’re not back online. Did the members agree to a prolonged blackout? I recall there being a poll, but thought it was to join the two-day blackout.

Reactions: One
Yeah, apparently those tools reduce the load on mods (which is heavier than I would have guessed, but internet gonna internet I suppose).
Reddit’s dirty secret is how much it relies on unpaid moderation. Subreddits require heavy-handed moderation and even the midsize subs are hard to handle. Reddit’s UX is improving but it’s still not the site’s strong point. So I understand why any mods may be upset of the API pricing changes.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back