Reaction by Russian State Media - disgusting

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Douglas, I’m sure you can find ways of putting your point across without resorting to childish insults. It’s really unnecessary.

Douglas, I’m sure you can find ways of putting your point across without resorting to childish insults. It’s really unnecessary.
Calling your stupid analogy a “stupid analogy” isn’t a childish insult.

Ok, I’m going to end my participation in this discussion with you as you don’t appear able to debate these issues in a mature, adult fashion.

Ok, I’m going to end my participation in this discussion with you as you don’t appear able to debate these issues in a mature, adult fashion.
I did not think it was childish or even an insult. Your “analogy” was completely inapt. Doug called the analogy stupid, he did not say you were stupid.

You’ll have to excuse me if it appears an overreaction or misinterpretation but unfortunately I’ve been on the receiving end of Douglas’ anti Russian xenophobia for many years.

It’s not anti-Russian xenophobia to call out the attitudes of Russian state TV who essentially refer to Simone as a man and say she’s on steroids.

Last edited:
You’ll have to excuse me if it appears an overreaction or misinterpretation but unfortunately I’ve been on the receiving end of Douglas’ anti Russian xenophobia for many years.
I just do not see anything “xenophobic” about Doug’s comments in this thread. Horrific comments were made on Kremlin run media. He called it. That is not being xenophobic. Nor is it “xenophobic” to acknowledge the really serious issues with racism, human rights violations etc in the RF. Its all pretty well documented.

To my fellow Americans who don’t think this stuff comes out of America: I recommend consuming news coverage of Russia, China, Iran, or Palestinians in occupied territories. We also have online bigotry factories like reddit.

To my fellow Americans who don’t think this stuff comes out of America: I recommend consuming news coverage of Russia, China, Iran, or Palestinians in occupied territories. We also have online bigotry factories like reddit.
Can you produce one example of a state run or backed media outlet in the U.S. that has resulted in anything even remotely comparable to this? No one is claiming there are no racist “shock jock” types in the U.S. The distinction is they do not work for state run media. Do you not get that distinction and understand how important it is?

I could bring up the numerous issues with the U.S. Agency for Global Media but I don’t consider the distinction to be important. Capitalist mega-corporations dominate American journalism and media. They’re the ones who decide what’s newsworthy for the entire country and largely represent American foreign policy goals and prejudices.

In other words, the answer to my question is no. You can not produce even one example.

I really don’t get this obsession with “state run media”. Lots of countries have state run media. Beth Tweddle is employed by the BBC, does that make her a government mouth piece?

No one is arguing against state run media at the moment. We are, however, pointing out that the objectionable content was IN state run media. JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESH

Yes, but it’s completely irrelevant? The media in Russia is freer than people think. Can you criticise or try to destabilise the government? Nope. Can you have just about any opinion on everything else? Yes.

You directly argued that private media isn’t comparable to state-sponsored media. I don’t agree since private media dominates American journalism. The New York Times, which employs 1,000 journalists and has the ability to decide what’s newsworthy for the entire country, denigrates Russian athletes at every possible turn. I consider New York Times Company’s social influence to be more important than its lack of state affiliation.

You’re desperately trying to conflate these issues and blur the obvious distinction between private journalism and state sanctioned propaganda.

But in any case - this whole thread is about the disgusting and disgraceful views broadcast on Russian government TV. We should all be united in saying how ignorant and shameful it is that these views are held, let alone broadcast on National TV and not immediately condemned.

The silence is deafening.

Last edited:
The problem is not the Russian gymnasts. They rightfully won Team Olympic Gold. I congratulate the Russian gymnasts. The problem is the media trashing Team USA and Biles.

José M.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back