Reaction by Russian State Media - disgusting

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I understand every country isn’t the same and I don’t expect any other country to agree with everything that goes on in the US, or with the “justice crusades”. But did you read the article?? I mean, I learned long ago - you can’t always change hate. But wow - that was Hitler level of hate in some of those quotes. I sincerely hope they were somehow misquoted.

I honestly couldn’t even conceive it would be this bad. When people complain about NBC, I always wondered why the Russian media wasn’t ever discussed, especially because multiple Russian athletes have accused her of doping.

Americans are a stupid, simple people from whom to extract money from very easily. That is the general premise of Russian emigration and many do not even pretend otherwise. Oh and you are also all fat and lazy. Your men are women, your women are men. It’s never personal, we just don’t respect America or it’s culture. Attitudes in China are pretty similar too.

Edited to add: It has been requested by board management that I make it clear that I am paraphrasing a view that is commonly held by Russians, especially those now in America. They are not comments directed at any poster on gymnaverse.

Last edited:
I’ve tried to find the original article to make up my own mind of how best to interpret and see the actual language used, but I cannot find it. However, it does not surprise me since the comments are in line with how Americans are often depicted in the Russian media. It has been exacerbated during the Olympics due to the anger felt at not being able to compete as Russia and that translates into a belief of anti Russian discrimination regarding doping investigations. It doesn’t help that there are so many examples of anti Russian xenophobia going unchecked because it’s so socially acceptable in America. It’s an issue I’ve experienced on the gymternet far more frequently in recent years

Here is the opinion of another employee of the Russian State, Svetlana Khorkina

“Yes, there is such information that the leader of the US artistic gymnastics team will not take part in the absolute all-around (women). It happens - this is the Olympic Games and here, which just does not happen🤦‍♀️. I personally have always treated my opponents with respect and I am sorry that we will not see her performances at these competitions. I wish her a speedy return to the Olympic tournament! But today the absolute for men🙏and my family and I have already prepared, worry and cheer for our guys🇷🇺Good luck✌️ # Khorkinasvetlana # Queen of Brusyev # Olympic champion # sports # gymnastics # Tokyo2020 # tokyo2020 # taps # failure # responsibility”

Erm, it’s gonna be hard pulling for Melnikova now knowing how much she hates me, but I’ll try.

I honestly couldn’t even conceive it would be this bad.
Oh it’s absolutely awful.

Can you imagine if NBC said this about a Russian or Chinese athlete?

They’d be fired in 5 minutes and the network would instantly send out a retraction.

The fact that they haven’t, and this is just everyday news on Russian State TV, tells you everything.

Look everyone it’s miss “I crashed this first vt so I’m not even gonna try the second at these vt finals” back to talk to all of us about responsibilty

So you think it’s a good idea for a potentially injured or shaken athlete to do another vault if they don’t feel right and do not have the opportunity to get checked over first?

But it isn’t NBC and it isn’t America. As I’ve said, this sort of rhetoric is extremely common in the media in Russia.

Agreed. Hey, if I win a competition, and the other sports man is in second place, I give him my friendly handshake. I know how to be a good, clean sport.

José M.

They can beat the USA, and be nice and friendly with the USA. Both things can be done. Just because they beat the USA doesn’t justify their being so mean and rude. If I beat somebody in a game, I am nice to that person. I am not rude. My ego doesn’t need that.

José M.

Who asked you to clarify your post? I was going to myself, but just as I started to respond, the edit popped up. I understood completely what you were doing with that post, but I know at least one person thought you were stating your own view. Sigh.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back