Reaction by Russian State Media - disgusting

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I’m just a little surprised that anyone finds this new or shocking. It has happened during and after every Olympics.

Olga Skabeyeva is a right wing commentator/shock jock who thrives on being controversial . If you are familiar with the British woman Katie Hopkins, this is a good comparison.

Americans are a stupid, simple people from whom to extract money from very easily. That is the general premise of Russian emigration and many do not even pretend otherwise. Oh and you are also all fat and lazy. Your men are women, your women are men. It’s never personal, we just don’t respect America or it’s culture.
Do you completely disagree with everything written above?

I don’t know. Someone I’d never heard of. Sigh indeed, but I guess it goes to show there may indeed be some truth there!

Great to see the 1st amendment alive and well.

I wasn’t able to read the article as it requires an account, but I like to think not all Russians are such sore losers as has been described here. I have seen plenty of evidence in the current Russian women’s gymnastics team that they are not. Those who do hold the views @MaryClare has described or espoused in the article can, to paraphrase Twitter, can die mad about it. Personally I’m very grateful to the social justice crusades which now allow me to hold hands with my partner in public without being ostracised.

(Also, unless Gymnaverse makes federal laws I haven’t heard of, it has nothing to do with the first amendment).

Last edited:
Americans are a stupid, simple people from whom to extract money from very easily. That is the general premise of Russian emigration and many do not even pretend otherwise. Oh and you are also all fat and lazy. Your men are women, your women are men.
Anyone who holds these views is a fucking stupid moron.

Also, unless Gymnaverse makes federal laws I haven’t heard of, it has nothing to do with the first amendment).
Or state law. Or local law. Through the 14th Amendment the 1st Amendment applies also to state and local law. Actually to all branches of government – legislative, judicial and executive. Also to public employers etc. But not, alas, to posts on the Gymnaverse, or the actions of its admins or mods (in their capacity as admins or mods of Gymnaverse).

It’s always better for your enemy to underestimate you.

Or state law. Or local law. Through the 14th Amendment the 1st Amendment applies also to state and local law. Actually to all branches of government – legislative, judicial and executive. Also to public employers etc. But not, alas, to posts on the Gymnaverse, or the actions of its admins or mods (in their capacity as admins or mods of Gymnaverse).
I get so frustrated by the uneducated conservative morons on social media who always whine and whinge about the First Amendment, without having any knowledge or understanding of it.

She went right back and won ub gold (this is 97 worlds) . Plus then medals on bb and fx if I’m correct. She can do whatever she pleases but this whole “this is disrespectful to her competitors” sounds really ironic to me coming from her of all people.

TBF it’s not like the vast majority of us would be able to assess what the Russian media are saying. You’d either need Russian language skills or to go looking for English language commentary on it. Whereas the majority of this board is American, and some competitions that nearly all of us watch are only covered by NBC. Also I don’t really care that much about what some attention seeking Russian B lister has said now, in all honesty. There are stupid arseholes the world over. The Russian ones aren’t special.

But, you cannot identify what the Russian media thinks with the gymnasts. It is unfair to them, and as you put it, you are implying that Russian gymnasts are not very sporty.

Why does it even matter what Russian media says? It is an entirely different nation and it’s well within their rights to construct a narrative suitable to their beliefs. The US media has been doing the exact same. Chinese gymnasts are all abused, the Russians are evil, everyone else is doing inferior gymnastics, we are so good that they intentionally lowball us.

Exactly. Olga Skabeyeva is a Katie Hopkins type shock jock. Imagine thinking that her views represented the British government or the British people! Yet people don’t seem to realise that when it comes to Russia. Twice I’ve been asked to confirm I don’t share the same views as the Russians in that article :cry:

Imagine thinking that her views represented the British government or the British people!
Katie Hopkins isn’t a mouthpiece of the British state. What a completely stupid analogy.

Last edited:
Katie Hopkins isn’t a mouthpiece of the British state. What a completely stupid analogy.
Precisely. Katie Hopkins does not speak for state sponsored media. One thing has nothing to do with the other. State sponsored. Get the difference?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back