Other Olympic Sports--Articles and Discussion

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Breakdancing is deeply triggering vicarious embarrassment
Okay thank you, because I got secondhand embarrassment just watching it. I was thinking maybe I’m not as cultured or understanding of whatever it is they’re doing? But they’re not really doing…anything coherent? How is this alleged sport judged? I’m so confused

Okay thank you, because I got secondhand embarrassment just watching it. I was thinking maybe I’m not as cultured or understanding of whatever it is they’re doing? But they’re not really doing…anything coherent? How is this alleged sport judged? I’m so confused
Many of us are likewise confused by this. And I seriously doubt your confusion stems from any lack of culture on your part. Worry not. At least about your own lack of cultural sophistication.

The judging is based on five areas, each worth 20% - Technique, Vocabulary, Originality, Execution and Musicality. There are no points, at the end of each round the judges just vote for who they think was best.

The rules seem very vague, I think deliberately so because it's supposed to be art and they didn't want to restrict it too much. All the judges are Bboys/girls referred to by their stage names, and the impression I get is it's something you have to do to know what it's supposed to look like.

I don't think we should criticize b-boys/girls for using nicknames while we use usernames here.

I don't think we should criticize b-boys/girls for using nicknames while we use usernames here.
But we're not competing in the Olympics? I don't have a problem with people using nicknames for themselves but during the competition it would lend a lot of credibility if they were officially referred to by real names.

If we were competing at the message board Olympics we'd use our usernames. I question if breaking was a good choice for the Paris Olympics, but I like how the IOC brought the culture into the Olympics. Morinari Watanabe's attempt to get ignore Parkour's culture to get it into the Olympics should not be emulated.

China and USA are neck and neck fighting for the gold medal count win.
basketball looking strong to add one for the US (uh oh, hope I didn't jinx them). How many diving events are left? ;-)

Last edited:
basketball looking strong to add one for the US (uh oh, hope I didn't jinx them). How many diving events are left? ;-)
No diving left, but a Chinese boxer is playing for gold. USA still has women's volleyball and basketball tomorrow.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back