Olympic Opening Ceremony

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Instead of cutting sports or number of athletes I suggest they cut out the parade. Just do the flag bearers. Flash a stream of photos of the athletes.

smart girls. The Opening Ceremony is theater for the viewers. Athletes gain nothing by taking part in it (except I guess some vague marketing value maybe) and their energy gets depleted
Yea. I was like 14 then (i think it was 2yrs ago?) and the youngest on the team were like 7. I think everyone over the age of 12 was like no way.

smart girls. The Opening Ceremony is theater for the viewers. Athletes gain nothing by taking part in it (except I guess some vague marketing value maybe) and their energy gets depleted
Eh, I think plenty of athletes get something from it. Instead of it seeming like just another competition, taking part in the pomp and circumstance and getting pumped up with their comrades can be part of the overall Olympic experience. If it meant nothing, you wouldn't have the grand majority of the athletes taking part.

Eh, I think plenty of athletes get something from it. Instead of it seeming like just another competition, taking part in the pomp and circumstance and getting pumped up with their comrades can be part of the overall Olympic experience. If it meant nothing, you wouldn't have the grand majority of the athletes taking part.
It would be really interesting to hear what former Olympians say about this. All I can think of is "energy depletion, energy depletion, time wasted."

Well that's you. Not everybody is joyless.
well, I am not joyless. But I know the importance of focusing at crucial moments. And of conserving energy. And of celebrating after the job gets done, not before.

I worry that cost will continue to shrink participation. I hate to think of it as something less inclusive and more elite.

well, I am not joyless. But I know the importance of focusing at crucial moments. And of conserving energy. And of celebrating after the job gets done, not before.
Getting to the Olympics is worthy of celebration in of itself, especially when you're from one of the top nations where you meet some of your biggest competition within your nation. And I think these athletes know themselves and what they can handle to take part or not take part. Katie Ledecky and Simone Biles have opted to not take part (the latter assuming she now gets the choice to versus Marta outright banning it). Other athletes decided to do so.

I wonder what LA’s theme will be for the Opening Ceremony?

Any guesses on final destination of the torch?

I wonder what LA’s theme will be for the Opening Ceremony?
I'm thinking them leaning in on the old Hollywood glitz and glamour, but hopefully somebody more creative than me can really go nuts.

I can't believe they were rocking' a 1980's disco song, Super Nature, and with sign language. What a bizarre song selection!

maybe. Or maybe they felt like they had to.
That would depend on the nation. I highly doubt countries with massive delegations would force their athletes to participate. Places like Tuvalu who have only two athletes might be different. But everybody there seems to be enjoying themselves. I think you're going to have to be okay with the idea that athletes want to go to the opening ceremony and have the agency to choose whether they do or don't.

That would depend on the nation. I highly doubt countries with massive delegations would force their athletes to participate. Places like Tuvalu who have only two athletes might be different. But everybody there seems to be enjoying themselves. I think you're going to have to be okay with the idea that athletes want to go to the opening ceremony and have the agency to choose whether they do or don't.
there are different ways of applying pressure and high achievers always want to meet people's expectations. Simone knows she can do whatever the heck she wants to do at this stage in her career as does Katie Ledecky.

there are different ways of applying pressure and high achievers always want to meet people's expectations. Simone knows she can do whatever the heck she wants to do at this stage in her career as does Katie Ledecky.
Why are you so insistent on this idea that the athletes who take part in the opening ceremony are just forced to be there?

Instead, Simone eats Pain au Chocolat!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back