Olympic Opening Ceremony

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Yeah, I think celebrity commentators don't quite understand the assignment of speaking as if the audience knows nothing.

Reactions: JDB
Sadly lacking. I’d have loved to have heard about the people, who did what in the Opening Ceremony, the significance of the places, designers of the spectacles, what the previous Olympians did to be considered unique, etc.

Exactly. Like they did a Phantom of the Opera shoutout when we first see the masked torchbearer. I got it because I've seen the show. Does the whole audience know that PotO is set in Paris and the masked Phantom lived underground?

Kelly Clarkson is so talented, but not in live commentating. Former Olympians should be the ones alongside the professional commentators to give their unique perspectives. I mean, Laurie Hernandez would have been a better option.
I love Kelly Clarkson. But you are right. It should have been former Olympians. This was not the right venue for her

I mean, Kelly could have been a wise choice had she focused on the music of the show and done her research on it prior so she could inform the audience about the music. I shouldn't have had to do a search to answer @rlayt's question on who the opera singer was. What was the significance of the eclectic music choices? She did explain a bit about Aya Nakamura at least.

I wonder if the athletes can leave the village at leisure to eat out or something.

I am not sure about that. The security is pretty intense from what I am understanding, especially with the Israeli athletes. NOT going into political discussion about this, just stating what has been in the news. So they are heavily monitoring entrance and exit into the village. Athletes and entourage have to wear their pre-selected clothing/kit and must have badges visible at all time.
Israeli athletes all have 24 hour security.

Emma Malabuyo, Aleah Finnegan, Levi Jung-Ruivivar on the Philippines boat.

malabuy.png

Last edited:
The mass of headless singing Marie Antoinettes was a choice.

Just watched Celine Dion's performance, it's great that she's able to sing, and I mean sing.

I normally find these ceremonies super tedious, but this plein air version around the Eiffel tower seems pretty cool. It captures the feeling of the place in a way that no stadium could. Seems like a real coup for the planners, but that's just based on the five minutes I watched, maybe it was actually a terrible idea, all told... :LOL:

I briefly explained, and then it was bath time
There’s been a lot of unexpected history explanation here too. Guillotines and catacombs are highlights so far, and we’re only on the E countries..,

Just re-watched the whole ceremony again in primetime. Mostly all the same, with a lot of cuts at the end.

They cut out 95% of the long mechanical horse ride with the Olympic flag. Cut out a lot of the real horse walking too. It just showed the beginning of the mechanical horse then went straight to the end of her riding the real horse. Cut out all the speeches. Cut out most of the Torch boat ride back with Nadia, showed them each holding the torch but then cut to past the handoff with the French athlete in white off the boat. Cut most of the French handoffs in the Louvre.

And then my video cut off because I was about five minutes behind the actual broadcast stream lol.

My 9 year old is outraged that they’re showing the number for how many athletes are in the delegation for some countries but not all the countries. This is what she’s most interested in apparently lol.
My 9 year old was aloo outraged by this oversight. And he decided that his favorite countries are the ones with 9 athletes so was upset that he might be missing out on some countries to root for.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back