MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

What would they do with this double double landing?
1st attempt
landing

2nd attempt
landing2

Last edited:
Sometimes it’s shocking to me to see the lack of common sense in her coaching. I just don’t understand the end game. Go for broke on the tumbling and vaulting? Sure. But why push to upgrade bars for a .2 increase in D with at LEAST a .3-.5 decrease in E on a skill she literally rarely actually completes in practice? I tried to comment on one of her videos encouraging her to let the free hip full go and just perform a clean giant full. She or her husband moderated the comment and it never got published lol. At least they let the Bhardwaj go.

I mean, technically it should downgrade to Mustafina (E). In practice, I doubt they would.

Double saltos with twist are actually exempt from downgrades when the twist is short of rotation. However, you would deduct for lack of precision.

There’s no specific guidance in the COP/Help Desk on degrees of rotation, but presumably if you’re within a quarter turn short it would stay a double-double, while if you were more than that it would be credited as a Mustafina with a lack of precision deduction for overrotation.

The code is super unclear. 9.1.2 is titled “landing from single saltos with twist” but underneath it says:

“Elements with twists performed … as … dismounts from UB … must be completed exactly or another element from the COP will be recognised”.

Expecting us to rely on the title alone isn’t helpful from the WTC. If they wanted an exception to the general rule, they should specifically state in the body of the operative provision that the rule doesn’t apply to double saltos with twist and/or repeat the “single Salto” language. The fact that it doesn’t tell you how to evaluate double saltos short on twist, only compounds the confusion over the intent. We shouldn’t be working on “presumably”s.

I would love to literally rewrite this fucking code.

Last edited:
I think someone said a “half illusion” exists in the code. So even though she doesn’t make the full turn you can just downgrade it rather than it not being an element at all.

I think it must show 180 split so I guess you can deduct for lack of split / lack of extension / foot form / precision, like you can for any other element requiring cross split.

It’s so shocking when you see her do those HORRIBLE back tuck timers!!! No set whatsoever! And then she throws a double double that’s so low it would end anyone else’s career, just completely whipped around. Her speed in twisting and rotation is just on another level, though. Like, that triple full is fabulous to watch because of how quick she twists it around. Easily my favorite skill of hers. Imagine if her coaches had actually utilized this ability with proper technique when she was younger?!

Last edited:
And her just casually dropping that she could still whip a full-in out of those crappy clear hip fulls is so on brand. At this point, she’s just amazing 🤣

I could watch the triple full for days. Somehow her back handsprings actually improve when she isn’t doing a double salto after them. She stretches back so that her takeoff for the salto isn’t so whippy. The technique on that triple full is actually really sound. She gets a nice set before the twist, and her twisting speed is incredible. And out of a punch front step-out!

I agree. It’s her best tumbling series.

It’s also weird that her 2.5 doesn’t look like that!

The triple full is really quite nice.

Expecting us to rely on the title alone isn’t helpful from the WTC. If they wanted an exception to the general rule, they should specifically state in the body of the operative provision that the rule doesn’t apply to double saltos with twist and/or repeat the “single Salto” language. The fact that it doesn’t tell you how to evaluate double saltos short on twist, only compounds the confusion over the intent. We shouldn’t be working on “presumably”s.
Just to clarify, the double salto exemption is listed in the Help Desk. The piece that was conjecture on my part was when a dismount would get called a Mustafina vs. a Fabrichnova, but yes, it should ideally all be broken out in the COP itself. 🙂

I hate how the FIG puts stuff in the help desk and yet doesn’t update the actual code even where there is clear contradiction.

Will they also update the help desk for 2022-24 too?

Is it so much to ask for one document? Lol

Yes, it’s too much to ask. It’s also too much to ask to make simpler rules, e.g., credit the closest skill and let the E-panel deduct.

MyKayla’s latest video update talks about the feedback she received at the National Team Camp just prior to the GK Classic. Aside from saying that she shouldn’t add a Bhardwaj, Tom and the National Team staff gave her positive feedback. It sounds like the camp routines were also scored.

Unless her coaches plain ignored any critique, she may have a right to be shocked by the judging at Classic.

(I don’t think she has commented about the Classics scoring, I’m just assuming sevens in E-score were a surprise. Maybe I shouldn’t assume.)

She also said that her Olympic selection is going to “come down to the wire”.

ETA: I feel super bad because in the video she’s saying “I had so much confidence” and then to see her face after floor at classics…

Last edited:
There’s a 5 min video of her on the Olympic Channel talking about how desperately she needs to be on this Olympic team as redemption for missing out in 2016 and how it’s devastating that she’s been an alternate 3 times.

This is gonna all end in tears.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back