MyKayla Skinner Olympic participation

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I don’t know that I’ve seen that word spelled out before. I thought it was jipped and wasn’t aware of its etymology or origin.

Mykayla needs to take a page out of Morgan Hurd’s book. Morgan has been excessively classy in the midst of deep disappointment.

Last edited:
Yeah, she seemed nothing but grateful and excited tonight lmao. Like who wouldn’t love to be on the main team and know you’re a near-sure bet for Olympic gold? But she didn’t seem upset at all. People have been projecting onto Skinner a lot. NotMyKayla but like whatever I’m happy for her!! She stands a good shot at a medal. She basically just needs to get out of prelims

That’s a fair criticism of me. I’ve noticed that she films videos that are emotionally raw and unfiltered. And I could imagine her being salty about not being on the team.

But she has not done that yet on Twitter or YouTube as far as I am aware.

Last edited:
Thanks for confirming it. I was certain that I had either read or seen something about that word being offensive a long time ago.

Same. I always thought it was jip/jipped and recently got called out on this by an American. I looked up the etyomology and it there were two origin stories; one racist, one not. I can’t find the non-racist one right now but I did find another interesting (and dodgy) origin…

Although she’s now liking on Twitter all the tweets saying she was robbed lol

I’m familiar with gyp/jip for pain, though it’s old fashioned, always thought it was more of a southern thing and I wasn’t sure how to spell it before today. Hadn’t actually heard ‘jipped’ though, I wondered whether she said jibbed originally but it’s definitely a p isnt it? Google says ‘jibbed’ is Australian which was news to me.

I can believe she didn’t know the etymology
of gypped/jipped, since I’ve just learned something similar myself today. But the tweets… she’s really not got one iota of sense has she? Engage brain!

Last edited:
Where? I just went through 16 hours back of her likes and saw exactly one that said she was robbed. How is that all the tweets?

Every tweet that she liked just says congratulations, you deserve it, proud of you, never give up etc. etc.

ETA: The one single tweet she liked about it was this

She retweeted zero tweets about her being on the main team, plus one, or robbed.

The only thing she herself has tweeted since last night is this:

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back