Kathy Johnson Clark retires from ESPN

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

It looks like she updated it to "retiring":

Untitled.jpg
Slightly less abrupt, but still sad!

What does Sam do other than her NBC gig?
She does a lot of the NCAA gym stuff. When Bart and Kathy are commenting together, Sam I’d usually the ‘on the floor’ reporter. Kathy has only done a couple of meets this year, and there have been different commentators filling in (Bridget Sloan comes to mind). There’s honestly a ton of NCAA commentators (they tend to have different ones for different conferences), but there are some gems like Sam, Kennedy Baker, and Amanda Borden.

Can we start a petition to keep Kathy Johnson Clarke as a commentator? She is SO loved in the gymnastics community, I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a couple thousand signatures. And perhaps seeing the support would put pressure on ESPN. I don't want to see Kathy be "aged" out, and neither do a lot of people.

Last edited:
WTF?! I hate to invite speculation, but... WHO is pressuring her to retire?

She is pretty much universally loved by the all in the gymnastics world, no? Honestly, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything but positive things about her and those positive things are often superlatives.

WTF?! I hate to invite speculation, but... WHO is pressuring her to retire?

She is pretty much universally loved by the all in the gymnastics world, no? Honestly, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say anything but positive things about her and those positive things are often superlatives.
I imagine it would have to be the channel she works for as a commentator. Wouldn't that be ESPN? Or does she commentate on other networks?

Now who specifically at the network, I don't know.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back