Kathy Johnson Clark retires from ESPN

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Can we start a petition to keep Kathy Johnson Clarke as a commentator? She is SO loved in the gymnastics community, I wouldn't be surprised if we could get a couple thousand signatures. And perhaps seeing the support would put pressure on ESPN. I don't want to see Kathy be "aged" out, and neither do a lot of people.
I like this idea because even if it didn't succeed, it would show her how many people love and support her. I imagine it must feel pretty shitty to be pressured to retire. I want her to know how much the fans love her.

WTF?! I hate to invite speculation, but... WHO is pressuring her to retire?

I would speculate it's not about public sentiment at all, but cost-cutting. More junior commentators (of whom there are plenty to pick from it seems, many from recent Olympic teams) may simply accept less pay for the work, especially in a media environment with plenty of self-styled influencers who understand that amplifying their personal brands can lead to other synergies and financial payouts other than from your direct employer.

It could be ABC/ESPN/NCAA.
Kathy has been honest about scores and pointing out deductions etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if not towing the line is part of the rational for her being pushed into retirement.
If it were about junior commentators, why is Bart still around and also not being "Retired".

The comment of "being retired as irrelevant, relic from the past"...screams to me that this was not planned nor really wanted by Kathy. In other words, being forced out.

There is something more there. Especially since she has been critical of the judging.

Last thing NCAA/ESPN/ABC want is their lead commentator on the big meets being too critical of all the TENS TENS TENS TENS that are driving the sport right now.

I smell something fishy.

It's not at all unusual in the entertainment world for "old" women to get pushed out while even older men are celebrated. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Kathy's age, along with her outspokenness over the problems with the sport got her pushed to retire before she wanted to.

I very rarely watch any ncaa gymnastics on TV because I don’t have most of those channels but I do love KJC I wish ABC was still a thing with gymnastics because I would love to have her comments on the open, ended codes

It's not at all unusual in the entertainment world for "old" women to get pushed out while even older men are celebrated. Wouldn't be at all surprised if Kathy's age, along with her outspokenness over the problems with the sport got her pushed to retire before she wanted to.
Exactly this. Older men are authoritative and trusted, older women are washed up hags.

It just gets more depressing:

This is so messed up. I remember thinking that gymnastics was doing a better job of keeping around their veteran commentators than figure skating in the U.S., but I guess I was wrong (I'm still pressed about NBC getting rid of Scott Hamilton for Tara and Johnny).

That was my first thought. Just look at the gender differences in who does the weather.
Women's gymnastics is getting a lot more mainstream attention, so I wouldn't be surprised if somebody decided a younger, fresher face would be good TV.

Is there a sample of Aly Raisman's commentary? I am not sure I will enjoy this, as I also don't enjoy John R's commentary.

She's not nearly as bad as I expected, given the last time I heard her speak she was still doing that overly loud monotone. But she's not KJC.

She’s not terrible. She improved over the years of monotone comments when she competed. But she’s no KJC.

Reactions: One
Is there a sample of Aly Raisman's commentary? I am not sure I will enjoy this, as I also don't enjoy John R's commentary.
I think she's a good commentator and well-spoken as a newbie, and I'm sure she'll get even better as she gets more experience. I don't have any problem with John and Aly commentating, as I like them both. I'm not shocked ESPN/ABC wants Aly as a commentator for this because she's pretty well-known. I just thought they'd give Bart and Kathy one last go at the NCAA Finals and I still think they are the best commentating duo.

I can't stand John's R commentary. The constant attempts to create drama and a "tight" meet are exhausting and irritating. I mute him instantly...
I'm glad it's not just me. I wanted to like his commentary, but I find him patronizing to his cohost and often his audience, and he gets stuck on specific points he wants to make and weird jokes to the detriment of the rest of the broadcast.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back