Kara Eaker tests positive for Covid (per Al Fong)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

They were pictured at the Olympic village earlier today, so I assume they are not counted as close contacts and are good for now. (really hoping they remain negative!)

Discussion is also in the sickness/injuries thread.

Starting post here:
40.png
Injuries, sickness and stuff… Olympics / Worlds / World Cups
This implies it’s WAG. But she is between 10 and 19 years old. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/olympi...gymnastics-team-tests-positive-covid-n1274334

Must be terrifying for the team that even a vaccinated team member tested positive.

I’m sure they were all hoping it was going to be another false positive.

Did we hear who it was?

we would assume…but nothing confirmed: https://www.kxxv.com/sports/alterna...tests-positive-for-covid-19-ahead-of-olympics
An alternate on the U.S. women’s gymnastics team has tested positive for COVID-19 and been put in isolation, just days ahead of Opening Ceremonies at the 2021 Olympics in Tokyo.

Scripps station KSHB in Kansas City, Missouri, reports that Kara Eaker tested positive for the virus. Eaker’s father and Al Fong — her coach at GAGE Gymnastics — both confirmed that Eaker tested positive for COVID-19 on Monday morning.

KSHB reports that Eaker is feeling fine and is asymptomatic. Eaker previously said in an interview with KSHB that she had been vaccinated against COVID-19.

NBC News reports that Eaker was in Japan for training in the town of Narita, about 35 miles east of Tokyo, when she tested positive.
Another team member has been identified as a “close contact” of Eaker’s and has been placed “on standby.”

The U.S. women are seeking their third consecutive Olympic gold medal after winning the overall team competition at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.

Must be terrifying for the team that even a vaccinated team member tested positive.
This notion that vaccination is a complete protection is ridiculous. For sure not with the delta variant. Israeli studies have determined Pfizer is 64% effective against symptomatic covid with the Delta variant.

Right.

But when you have an unvaccinated team member on your team you probably assume that it’s not gonna be you first. I’m sure Kara is asking “why me?” as she sits alone in her room for 2 weeks.

It’s like the healthy 40yo non smoker getting cancer before their 70 year old chain smoking father. It’s human nature.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back