Kara Eaker tests positive for Covid (per Al Fong)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

If they are taking Vaccine status into account it would make sense why Al isn’t required to quarantine and Leanne is. Al said he was vaccinated months ago.

And why the other replacement athletes aren’t quarantining, as they were all around each other for more than 15 minutes.

Would it still be possible for USAG to replace Kara and Leanne, have alternate alternates, just in case something else goes wrong over the next three days? Or is too late for that to be practical/allowed now?

Pretty sure deadline is passed- 5th of July(date could be a bit off) I think. So they’re left with Emma and DiCello. So they can only use whoever is in Tokyo now.

I’m just wondering who’s they’d sub in if they needed another sub- would Jade or MyK get the spot on team. I mean I’d say Skinner has been going for all those extra 10ths the last few weeks.

Actually, could they sub MyK onto main team and give DiCello MyKs individual spot? I know Jades can’t be swapped out but yeah- my mind is constantly swirling right now.

Theoretically alternates can be brought in after July 5th onto the main team, but there’s no practical way they can get to Japan in time.

From the FIG procedures, the non-nominative +1 is held to the same rules as Jade, so any +1 integrated onto the main team forfeits the spot for her NOC.

In another development, a +1 can be now subbed for the team final if an athlete on the main team contracts COVID. Obviously this is a thorny issue given contact tracing and whether a cluster of cases would take out the whole team anyway, but the provision is there. The FIG does not afford this to a +1 subbing for an injured athlete, once prelims have begun.

Last edited:
That’s interesting and I think positive news about the plus one, though I agree could well be moot.

This is a really important point. The official FIG results sheets normally have three reserves. I feel like we’ve got down to reserve two a few times and was there a final that got to reserve three once? Argh I used to know everything but my memory is really going downhill these days.That’s pre-pandemic so this is all plausible. As well as your scenario I wonder what they will do with athletes in the top eight who are 2pered? There will be a few of those. Will they get to stay beyond 48 hours just in case?

Last edited:
Maybe 8 days if testing negative on certain days, up to 14 otherwise?
I really feel for her- stuck in a room, probably desperate to be training/moving around and not even sure when she’ll be able to fly home (I assume shed have to test negative first to get on a plane)

I’ve been saying this all along. Super unfair on the teams who don’t have a +1 or a +2.

It’s almost like the teams that don’t have one should be able to sneak their spare athlete into the village under a “coaches” pass…

Last edited:
To add on to this will teams have individual athletes leaving every couple of days?

For instance you get through qualifying and Skinner hasn’t qualified for anything, does she then have to leave? Jordan and Grace have to leave after TF? Etc etc or can they stay until the WAG competition is finished fully?

To add on to this will teams have individual athletes leaving every couple of days?

For instance you get through qualifying and Skinner hasn’t qualified for anything, does she then have to leave? Jordan and Grace have to leave after TF? Etc etc or can they stay until the WAG competition is finished fully?
Excellent question because if for example skinner doesn’t qualify for anything but Jade has to drop out but I’m sure skinner would be next… i’m assuming they’re going to have to let at minimum 5 to 10 gymnast for each final stay in Japan

I saw somewhere that “within 48 hours of their event ending” means the entire sport. So, someone who didn’t qualify for any finals would have to leave after the last WAG event (beam finals), not after prelims.

Last edited:
Let’s hope so, for some reason I thought it was when each gymnast’s competition ended, they had to leave

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back