transfer portal 2024-2025

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

nog

Transfer Portal opened today. Thought i'd start a thread to track updates on gymnasts entering the transfer portal and when or if they announce that they have a new university.

Anyone know if college gym news or any others will publicly track for us?

Remarkably, unlike most of the other sports, gymnastics seems to have been spared the chaos of the transfer portal. Maybe that will change.

Remarkably, unlike most of the other sports, gymnastics seems to have been spared the chaos of the transfer portal. Maybe that will change.
what do you mean by that? Do you mean that you believe that there aren't that many entering? or do you mean that the they are spared the publicity aspect? I am actually guessing that between Lindenwood closing their program, normal portal traffic and a philosophy (of some) that they all deserve more in NIL (and are hoping to move to schools that have better deals)......that the portal for gymnastics will be kinda crazy this year

I also anticipate that some Utah and Iowa athletes will also enter the portal.
Everything that occurred at Utah happened after the portal was closed, so anyone wanting to leave Utah couldn't. I also wonder about the situation in Iowa and if gymnasts will choose to leave that program, especially since it is clear that athletes went forward with complaints.

How has it played out in other sports?
In other sports, we have seen essentially whole roster turn-over from year to year. This is most evident in college basketball, but also in football, I think the average number of transfers is around 20-25 out of a 75 man roster.

Of course, programs that are shutting down like Lindenwood are going to have transfers and if a coaching change occurs. That has always happened and was already permitted (when coaches left) before unlimited transfers was made legal.

Gymnasts have transferred and I am sure we will see a few, just not to the "whole roster turnover" level. Idk why, maybe its the NIL money isnt as high, maybe its in their DNA but in general gymnasts seem to stick to their initial program.

I am actually guessing that between Lindenwood closing their program, normal portal traffic and a philosophy (of some) that they all deserve more in NIL (and are hoping to move to schools that have better deals)......that the portal for gymnastics will be kinda crazy this year
You may be right, but we just havent seen that type of activity yet. The closest that I have seen is Savs going from UF to LSU to chase NIL and social media fame, as a 6th year covid year senior which I would argue is different. Now if we see Lily Smith, Konnor, Anya, Amari or Delaynee or any of the high performing freshman enter the transfer portal, then we might be trending that way.

i am actually thinking more of the lower tier programs....ones that may have a standout girl but the university is just not at a level where there is Any NIL deals. Thinking more like MAC, Eagl conferences etc. They do well, but no MAC school is going to be able to pull in NIL for the entire team like SEC, Big 10 (etc) can.

i am actually thinking more of the lower tier programs....ones that may have a standout girl but the university is just not at a level where there is Any NIL deals. Thinking more like MAC, Eagl conferences etc. They do well, but no MAC school is going to be able to pull in NIL for the entire team like SEC, Big 10 (etc) can.
True, but again, unlike lets say basketball, where all these mid-major players transfer to power conferences, we really havent seen that in gymnastics.

The money, both NIL and future earnings potential should one go pro, in men's basketball and football is just so much bigger than in gymnastics. Orders of magnitude bigger. That drives a lot of the transfers in those sports.

At least in gymnastics, there seems to be enough respect among the coaches not to poach each other's athletes. NCAA football and basketball? Those coaches are vicious. They would run over their own mothers if they thought it gave them a competitive advantage. Tampering may be against the rules, but any big time program is skirting on the very edge of legality, if not outright flaunting the rules. It's cutthroat.

Also, lots of the basketball and football players probably aren't depending on their degrees while the gymnasts likely are. If you are getting a communications or marketing degree, that's probably pretty portable but other degrees not as much, it has to be harder to switch schools every year if you think your livelihood is going depend on your mastery of the subject.

Gymnastics has a lot less scholarships to provide to athletes.
So while a MAC or EAGL gymnast might want to move to a P5 school through transfer portal it does make it challenging. Coaches are looking for specific gymnasts to fill in their teams should they have a scholarship spot available. Hence why Titarsolej was snatched up at Missouri because they needed a strong bars worker for their weakest event.

Transfer Portal opened today. Thought i'd start a thread to track updates on gymnasts entering the transfer portal and when or if they announce that they have a new university.

Anyone know if college gym news or any others will publicly track for us?
How do you see who has entered the portal? is there a spot on the NCAA website?

Portal isn't public. Only coaches and sports administrators are supposed to see who is in there. But people gossip and leak info. Sometimes a gymnast who enters the portal will also announce that they have done so.

Reactions: CMG
I saw a video of Syd training with Logan (transferring from LIU) at a different gym on Long Island than any other gym LIU train's at ... speculation of course from a Instagram story

but Syd deserves way better! and can do way better ... they are a rock star

*edit for correct pronouns

Last edited:
I saw a video of Syd training with Logan (transferring from LIU) at a different gym on Long Island than any other gym LIU train's at ... speculation of course from a Instagram story

but Syd deserves way better! and can do way better ... she is a rock star
FYI Syd goes by they, not she. But yeah, the number of athletes who have left really doesn't bode well for the program.

Makes sense, she was never going to crack any of UCLA's lineups consistently, so if she wants to compete she will have to go somewhere she can contribute.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back