Kara Eaker, from University of Utah to Georgia

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Im a gymnastics fan, not a lawyer, judge, or employer. I don’t have to maintain a nuetral stance until “all the facts are in.” I can judge people based on their words and actions. This parent decided the right thing to do was try to impugn Kara’s character and crow about the success of the program and coach as if that somehow excuses, mitigates or otherwise tempers the events Kara describes. That person then felt it necessary to make that opinion known in a public way. Imma judge the hell out of that.

I do honestly think people make that distinction. I also think people make their own decisions and don’t accept 💯 my judgment that the actions of the team manager and her mother were gross. We know people make their own decisions or there wouldn’t be so many opinions.

I stand by my statement that it was gross. Anytime people shield an abuser ir downplay abuse I will call it gross. The person(s) are either complicit or totally gaslighted and need to hear that their actions are gross for a reality check.

I think there is room for nuance and varied perspectives around many of the specifics - for example, I have seen people expressing a range of views on whether the other coaches at Utah (not TF) should also be fired (a full “cleaning house”) or not. I’ve seen a wide range of views about the current Utah athletes, from some very harsh criticisms (certain of which, I have personally found unempathetic and uncomprehending of abusive dynamics) to some very nuanced analyses of how those athletes may be affected while still arguably bearing culpability in certain social media posts they have made in the past.

I don’t think that most people expect a total consensus on all aspects? But I don’t think it is too much to expect a consensus of support for Kara. In my view that should be the baseline.

I think that now, rather than historically, college teams are possibly even worse. MSU aside, they were able to basque in their own “oh that would never happen here” whilst parroting all the right words about empowerment and inclusivity. Plus the athletes being legally adults makes a huge difference to coaches attitude. “Adults should be able to handle it”, “adults have a responsibility to speak up if they don’t like something”. Completely ignoring the imbalance of power that will always exist between a young athlete and their coach. The financial power is also on the other foot. At an elite gym, the athlete and their parents are the customers of the gym and if they don’t like it, they can take their business elsewhere. In college, your coach has huge power regarding scholarships and if you don’t like it, the upheaval that’s involved in transferring is huge

More media picking up the story.

Last edited:
Routines like this were really something special. (I know a missed ring jump will ~ruin~ this for some of y’all, but there’s a ton to like here – code be damned!!!)

Routines like this were really something special. (I know a missed ring jump will ~ruin~ this for some of y’all, but there’s a ton to like here – code be damned!!!)
Her fluidity on beam is unmatched. I only wish she had better routine construction, because she was simply stunning to watch.

I’m very curious how long Utah will let this drag on. It took a full season and underwhelming results before UCLA dismissed Chris Waller; in my opinion this situation is clearly more egregious (TF having demonstrated long-term patterns of behaviour vs. Waller’s mismanagement of a single issue). I wonder.

I only wish she had better routine construction,
Yeah, I know this is the official gymnaverse stance… but especially in hindsight when you can ignore that urgent feeling of, I love this gymnast why can’t she just do the score-optimizing routine I want for her and win all the medals ARGHH!?!, I can just sit back and appreciate a Switch Ring + Backhandspring with a leg hold + Switch 1/2 + korbut combo. Like, that’s pretty freakin’ cool. The code/judges might hate it but that doesn’t mean that I have to!

Last edited:
Yeah, I know this is the official gymnaverse stance… but especially in hindsight when you can ignoring that urgent feeling of, I love this gymnast why can’t she just do the score-optimizing routine I want for her and win all the medals ARGHH!?!, I can just sit back and appreciate a Switch Ring + Backhandspring with a leg hold + Switch 1/2 + korbut combo. Like, that’s pretty freakin’ cool. The code/judges might hate it but that doesn’t mean that I have to!
It honestly makes me miss older codes where playing to your strengths was more of a key

I’m very curious how long Utah will let this drag on. It took a full season and underwhelming results before UCLA dismissed Chris Waller; in my opinion this situation is clearly more egregious (TF having demonstrated long-term patterns of behaviour vs. Waller’s mismanagement of a single issue). I wonder.
There is still a very vocal minority of Utah fans supporting Tom. The things being said on the College Gym Facebook group are downright frightening. That might affect things.

IMG_8669

IMG_8670

IMG_8671

IMG_8672

Last edited:
There is still a very vocal minority of Utah fans supporting Tom. The things being said on the College Gym Facebook group are downright frightening. That might affect things.
I really don’t think the University of Utah are going to base their decisions on what fans are saying on Facebook…

I really don’t think the University of Utah are going to base their decisions on what fans are saying on Facebook…
Yes, of course not, but the comments don’t exist in a vacuum and are likely indicative of broader support within the community.

Last edited:
I am glad that Kim spoke her truth and specifically named Tom.

I hope more gymnasts come forward.

Thompson and Stanhope probably would like to share stories but can’t.

The entire Utah coaching staff needs to go. Dockendorf has never been mentioned, but she is associate head coach and sees the abuse happening and stays silent.

I believe it, but enough bad press will get a lot of people fired regardless of what’s happening internally.

Not sure we’re there, but I’m starting to wonder. It would have been fairly easy to issue some bland pablum about how they wish Kara well and that they stand behind their team, but they haven’t.

The marker is going to be signing day in two weeks. If Avery bails then the University will have to move. Recruiting is the life-blood of the program. Otherwise, the University is going to stay silent. What else can they say? At least what could they say that would placate the population? Maybe we are firing everyone?

I believe it, but enough bad press will get a lot of people fired regardless of what’s happening internally.
No one will get fired.

Getting fired means the University admits guilt and takes the blame. They will not do anything that would include admission of anything in order to keep themselves out of legal trouble.

The University already had an investigation and the conclusion was Tom was “not abusive”, but needed to change his coaching practices.

If the pressure from the public becomes too great, some back door deals will be made and likely a lucrative offer will be proposed to Tom, who will then “resign”, moving to “future opportunities”.

But there is no way Tom will be terminated.

In terms of the rest of the coaching staff, once a new coach is named they can replace the whole team, so that would clean the house out per say.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back