Jesolo 2023

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

J175

Juniors - Saturday 10:00 (local time, UTC+2)
Seniors - Saturday 15:30
Finals - Sunday 14:30

Stream for seniors only tomorrow by the looks of it, there is one for event finals on Sunday as well

FsYW8r1X0AAOlj8

I get that there probably isn’t so much interest in this this year with the other competitions going on this weekend and no US senior team, but there are some interesting teams, particularly from Italy and South Korea and the return of Roxana Popa and Ana Perez for Spain.

I tune in after Junior Worlds EF just in time to watch people awkwardly doing the Macarena to trigger my secondhand embarassment. People still remember how to do that?

Last edited:
I dislike this increasing trend of listing family names first for European names.

It’s not an increasing trend, it’s the traditional way across most of Europe. If anything, it is becoming less common as the English/American form takes over

It definitely is. If you look at European gymnastics broadcasts up until the mid 90s, this was the standard way of doing things. it’s more varied now, but not uncommon to still see surnames listed first.

I think what’s new is not sticking to one format. I.e listing some athletes, like Chinese and Japanese as surname first but everyone else given name first

Last edited:
This is in Italy, and I honestly don’t remember seeing that in any old Italian things.

ETA: not to mention, there are plenty of Western European names that start with “de” or “di” or some other particle that, originally, was used to link the first and last names grammatically.

Last edited:
Eh? That’s completely normal for Italy. In Italian schools the students are called by surname then first name

De/Di are nothing to do with linking the first name grammatically.

Di Giovanni is exactly the same surname as Johnson/Ionescu/Ivanov/Hansen/McShane

In a formal list, Carlo Di Giovanni is listed as Di Giovanni, Carlo

EFs taking place now. Snyder and Hardie finish 1-2 on beam.
Which demonstrates that the Junior World team just had a bad competition and fought through international competition nerves and the performance was not the result of lost training time due to COVID closures. These two went through what Rivera and Hang went through during the pandemic.

In Italian schools the students are called by surname then first name
Same in Spain, and we use two surnames. If one of those is a composite you can end up with something like:

López de Villegas García, María

To the general rejoicing of non- Spanish speaking people.

Yes, I think people are overreacting a bit. In 2001, Marta was newly in charge of the program, Yevgeny had his first crop of elites and at the goodwill games, Carly was only on maybe her 2nd international competition.

Imagine people had written them all off.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back