Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ugh Laurie. At least it’s only the daytime livestream. Interested to see what Justin Spring is like, as I don’t see John as a long term replacement for Tim

I've always been an unabashed Daggett fan.

Not only do I love his commentating, I also highly recommend reading his book! One of the better gymnastics autobiographies out there. He really went through hell in his career.

Tim Book.png

I've always been an unabashed Daggett fan.

Not only do I love his commentating, I also highly recommend reading his book! One of the better gymnastics autobiographies out there. He really went through hell in his career.

View attachment 10430
I generally find Tim to be passionate and knowledgeable. I think where he falls down is that he tries too hard to create a dramatic narrative when there just isn’t one. The BBC team do a much better job of actually analysing the routine whilst catering to the more casual viewer.

I find Tim to be a good commentator when he's actually allowed to commentate.

I think he also does a good job of filling NBC's commentator "character" who provides hyper-simplistic commentary and promotes whatever narrative they've decided on, and NBC's narrative is terrible and the required character is obnoxious.

That's part of why I'm always happy to see him listed as a men's commentator--the commentary on that side is under a much milder editorial thumb, and a lot of the commentary is both interesting and useful.

The Gymnastics Reddit has developed some kind of bizarre collective grudge against the BBC team and now every competition involves endless complaints about how they pronounced something wrong or spoke about Team GB too much. Of course they are far from perfect (who among us, etc.), but I find the commentator Redditors seem to be fans of (Ollie) infinitely more irritating. He never shuts up! And he’s somehow very preachy.

Ollie gets on my nerves sometimes, but I honestly think I'm more irritated by the effusiveness of the gymternet towards him. Like yeah, he's positive, and that was a nice change after decades of Elfi. But on the other hand, it's also okay to simply say that an athlete fell off the apparatus, no? Maybe it's a sign that I've been around too long, that I'm less annoyed by the actual commentators than by people's responses to the commentators?

The Gymnastics Reddit has developed some kind of bizarre collective grudge against the BBC team and now every competition involves endless complaints about how they pronounced something wrong or spoke about Team GB too much. Of course they are far from perfect (who among us, etc.), but I find the commentator Redditors seem to be fans of (Ollie) infinitely more irritating. He never shuts up! And he’s somehow very preachy.
They also like Laurie, whom I found to be terrible.

Ollie gets on my nerves sometimes, but I honestly think I'm more irritated by the effusiveness of the gymternet towards him. Like yeah, he's positive, and that was a nice change after decades of Elfi. But on the other hand, it's also okay to simply say that an athlete fell off the apparatus, no? Maybe it's a sign that I've been around too long, that I'm less annoyed by the actual commentators than by people's responses to the commentators?
Completely agree.

I just prefer commentators who state the obvious instead of trying to make everything fluffy and positive. Sometimes the routine isn't good and that's okay to straight out state that.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back