Gymnast Social Media Megathread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed this meant she would compete NCAA next year and I wonder if that is a good decision. NCAA seems to have improved her expression (a bit) but her landings at 2022 Worlds left a bit to be desired.

She doesn’t have much (if any) of a scoring buffer on floor and vault and poor landings cost her a lot last year. (Then again, she has an Olympic gold medal and maybe this is about helping get a team medal.)

Last edited:
I’m not sure about the exact deferral rules, but I do think there’s a max. It’s why Bela Onyshko was only able to compete two seasons.

NCAA does have an “age limit rule” for D1:

Age-limiting factors​

Division 1 and 2​

Division 1 (D1) and Division 2 (D2) colleges require high school student-athletes to enroll in college no later than 12 months post-graduation. Upon acceptance, these students have five years to compete in four full years of college sports, as they can opt to redshirt (sit out of competitive gameplay for a season) for one of their four eligible years.”

It’s why Carey was enrolled in classes at Oregon the year before she actually competed. This group would have their extra Covid year too, but Carey is a year older than Chiles, so maybe she technically only has 2 years left on her clock, so it’s compete this year or lose it? Chiles can take a year off and still have 2 years left.

NCAA does have an “age limit rule” for D1:
Not sure where that is from, but there is no age limit.
NCAA certification requirements (ECAG Operating Procedures) do not have any age restrictions. Generally, until an athlete is fully enrolled at an NCAA institution, they are still considered a prospect. The legislated definition of a prospective student-athlete can be found by going to Legislative Services Database - LSDBi and searching for one of the following bylaw numbers:

https://ncaa.egain.cloud/kb/ECAG/co...ents#:~:text=NCAA certification requirements (ECAG%20Operating,are%20still%20considered%20a%20prospect.

Division 1 (D1) and Division 2 (D2) colleges require high school student-athletes to enroll in college no later than 12 months post-graduation. Upon acceptance, these students have five years to compete in four full years of college sports, as they can opt to redshirt (sit out of competitive gameplay for a season) for one of their four eligible years.”
The rule about enrolling 12 months after high school graduation was put on temporary hold due to COVID postponing the Olympics from 2020 to 2021. Several athletes had deferred one year (2019-2020) intending to competed in 2020-2021, however with Olympics being moved one year due to the pandemic, the athletes with Olympic hopes were not penalized.

That’s good to hear about the pause on the 12 months from high school rule!
I can’t remember exactly what the wording was, but it essentially allowed anyone that was training for the Olympics to be able to do that without penalty due to the postponement.

NCAA gives exemptions for the 12 month rule for studying abroad, internships, military service, pregnancy etc so makes sense that the Olympic delay would qualify.

I’m not sure about the exact deferral rules, but I do think there’s a max. It’s why Bela Onyshko was only able to compete two seasons.
Do you have other information on this?
Onshyko was graduating early and has been battling injuries her entire career. I assumed it was that her body was just done.

According to her Instagram, she graduates 2024, so I think I saw someone explain that she only wasn’t continuing because of eligibility rules. I don’t remember the source, so I could definitely be wrong. She was born 1998 though, so wouldn’t it make sense with the above rules that she was out of years?

Last edited:
How on earth is Shilese Jones going to have eligibility? She’s been out of high school for at least two years already and presumably is putting college off until at least 2024. She’s still not technically signed with Florida, she’s never signed a National Letter of Intent, unlike, say, Skye Blakely.

According to her Instagram, she graduates 2024, so I think I saw someone explain that she only wasn’t continuing because of eligibility rules. I don’t remember the source, so I could definitely be wrong. She was born 1998 though, so wouldn’t it make sense with the above rules that she was out of years?
Yeah, it is all confusing with deferring, COVID year, red-shirt injury year.

Screen Shot 2023-05-10 at 4.58.37 PM

She is listed on the roster spreadsheet, which is usually accurate and up to date. So IDK.

She’ll be competing for OSU on a limited basis. If she sticks to just beam and maybe bars, it would probably help her bid since she’ll get 3 months of having to hit beam under pressure which might prepare her for the pressure of peaking/having to hit, which she didn’t experience at the last Olympic trials. OSU can absorb the loss of her in their VT/FX lineups better than they could on UB/BB if she decided to defer.

Has Leanne made a statement yet?

Last edited:
I swear her name has been on the spreadsheet year after year after year, always moving over a column when yet another NLI signing period passes and she doesn’t sign. I believe she’s actually going to Florida when I see it.

I think her not signing an NLI yet is precisely why she’s been able to delay for so long. Its crazy to think she only turned senior in 2018 cause she was competing as a junior almost a decade ago!

I remember reading an article about a swimmer that deferred three years for the 2021 Olympics and I know it cost her a year of eligibility. I’m guessing that third year Jade deferred but was taking classes counted as her redshirt year. If you are only allowed one Olympic deferral then next year would be a use it or lose it year.

I have my doubts about ever seeing Shilese competing for Florida, and if she doesn’t start until after Paris she’s going to be 22 years old as a freshman. If she’s not taking classes online then I’m guessing she’ll have two years of eligibility. Maybe three if she graduated from high school late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back