Gymcastic. Thoughts?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Jessica also said Geurtz was the first ever vault finalist for Netherlands (Verona would disagree!!)

Also said that Williams from Sweden finishing 23rd in the AA was the highest placement for Sweden, Veronica Wagner corrected her LMAOOOOOO saying that her finish (21st) at 2009 Worlds was (and is still) the highest placement.

She’s just making up stuff whenever without any fact checks.

Like how do you not write a sort of script or discussion points and check your facts first?

What’s worse is that she keeps parroting that she’s the ONLY independent foreign media source at the World Championships. As if she’s some kind of authority.

She literally doesn’t know the medalists one hour after the end of the meet. This is her job.

If my boss was listening to the podcast, I would have been fired 7 minutes into the episode already.

Last edited:
The insanity continues.

Today, Jessica (and unbelievably, Kensley too!) discussed at length their opinion that medals should be awarded based on score, and not on placement.

This was because on PH today, there was a tie for silver, which meant there was no bronze medal awarded. Jessica and Kensley thought that, because 4th and 5th tied for the third best score, they should have both been given a bronze medal.

This logic would result in the absolute insanity where, for example in Glasgow Worlds 2015, although there was a four-way tie for gold (with 4 golds awarded), the 5th placed athlete Gabby Douglas, would have been awarded the silver medal, and the 6th placed athlete, Shang Chunsong, would have been awarded the bronze.

#EveryonesAWinner!

Spencer was pretty much speechless. What made it more annoying was that Jessica tried to bring the tired Tom Forster “rAnK oRdEr” bullshit into her argument (I mean, when does she not?) for why her way was best.

Maybe I should keep an open mind as to other thoughts on here - but surely this is just silliness? And we all wonder why bro-sports commentators often regard gymnastics as a non-sport.

Last edited:
Maybe she’s like the Joaquin Phoenix of gym podcasts and it’s all a great performance hoax?

I believe Jessica was downsized out of her regular job a while ago and she has a lot of time on her hands now. It doesn’t seem to be a help.

I agree. I think the podcast was better was it was run as a passion project rather than a business (?). I feel bad saying this because I know it’s a ton of work and I don’t begrudge people for trying to monetise their hard work, but if you’re going to make it professional you need to behave professionally. I became a Club Gymnerd member for about five minutes this summer and after my first Behind the Scenes it was a very fast nope.

I became a Club Gymnerd member for about five minutes this summer and after my first Behind the Scenes it was a very fast nope.
I had absolutely the same experience.

I still listen because, amidst some of the bullshit, there are some good takeaways on occasion (mostly by Spencer). But in reality, all the “Behind The Scenes” content is usually just a Jessica monologue about how she asked her favorite Israeli gymnast what her favorite color was, and her wheezing through a story about how the bus was late getting from the arena to the hotel. 100% of the actual gymnastic content is always in the main (free) podcast.

I believe Jessica was downsized out of her regular job a while ago and she has a lot of time on her hands now. It doesn’t seem to be a help.
Has this coincided with the new array of Green Chef, Manscaped and Native sponsorships, on top of their longtime trusty TumblTrak?

They had all those sponsorships before that happened. But she seems more prone to flights of fancy since this became her full time gig.

I think she’s trying to be the fun, enthusiastic, low on detail but big on personality, person - and she’s kinda outsourced the details part of the podcast to Spencer (WAG) and Kensley (MAG).

In reality, I imagine that a majority of listeners would simply prefer a podcast with Spencer and Kensley, alone. Maybe not - I am gymnastics purist and I do not care for knowing what Melnikova had for lunch yesterday. I want to talk routines, skill selection and progression, execution, judging, the Code, scores and medals. I can also get into some light gym-moves, coaching gossip etc, too. But I remember one of the BTS episodes was literally 8 or 9 minutes of Jessica talking about which pattern of toilet seat to buy, and another monologue of her experiences with a Mooncup. I wish I was joking.

Last edited:
Third best score in the world!!!

What “recap” is he referring to?

What “recap” is he referring to?
I believe he is referring to Olympic Channel coverage.
John basically said it was disappointing because Yoder made errors and missed a medal after qualifying 3rd. Yoder was not referred to as “a disappointment” but rather is was disappointing that he didn’t medal due to the errors. Tim had said that Weng Hao was disappointed by the performance and John said that Yoder was the other one that was disappointed.

I can see Yoder’s point, I think.
If he is referring to NBC/Olympic Channel coverage, Yoder is stretching what was said and making himself a victim. It was clear that not one of the trio called him “the disappointment”.
This is twice now that Yoder has missed a medal when he was a legitimate contender, having been 4th in Olympic qualifications and 3rd at Worlds as a favorite for a medal, after having some mistake there is no doubt a gymnast is going to be disappointed in his or her performance. You can still be proud of your performance but also be disappointed in the outcome.

Okay, fine, whatever, they didn’t call him a disappointment, but you yourself said that they called his performance and placement disappointing, right? I mean, come on, we know what he meant.

Sorry, but he has the right to disagree with that. Maybe to him, it was not disappointing at all, and he doesn’t like people labeling it that way.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back