Elvira Saadi coaching ban, Elena Davydova temp suspension in Canada

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Sasha

Defender
Not much info about why, but this tweet (xweet?) indicates that Saadi, who is best known for coaching the Moors sisters and Yvonne Tousek, is barred for life, with only the possibility of returning to coach coaches.

I feel like I heard unsavoury rumours about her a long time ago, but can’t remember the nature of them. But I suppose this indicates that they were far from baseless, going by the fact that Gymnastics Canada is a-okay with Gallardo.

Edit: ah, this article answers a few questions; she’s been suspended for the past two years over allegations of emotional and psychological abuse.

Last edited:
I remember that Saadi was pretty unpleasant to Tatiana Groshkova in the documentary from 1991 “More than a game” - and that was with cameras present. Goodness knows what she is like behind closed doors.

Effective yesterday, Elena Davydova (Gemini Gymnastics) is suspended pending the results of an investigation by the Office of the Sport Integrity Commissioner. Davydova most recently coached both Ava Stewart and Ana Padarariu. I'm not sure whether the latter planned to return to Gemini or not for her 2024 run. Could be a potentially serious shakeup for both of them.

Last edited:
Yes, especially Padurariu, since she has put her NCAA career on the shelf for now.

More so, how will the FIG handle this? Unlike the situation where RUS and BLR officials not being allowed to participate due to federation bans, this is a case where the federation is in good standing, but the individual not, and since the individual is nominated by the federation, it doesn't present logically that a suspension not also be considered by the FIG.

It will be hard for the FIG to have an individual suspended by a federation on a TC, especially with their supposed stance on SafeSport.

I was told by a friend of mine that Ana is planning to train in Utah for her elite return because her boyfriend lives there. No other details though.

I didn't know he moved to Utah. I guess he had to relocate after selling his CA gym once he became UCLA head coach.

Apparently Elena Davydova has been suspended too

(This is the bit where you’re supposed to convince me that the West hating us is total nonsense)

His wife’s social media says she’s still in California. And their Heart of a champion event is still in California. Maybe he goes back and forth.

Apparently Elena Davydova has been suspended too

(This is the bit where you’re supposed to convince me that the West hating us is total nonsense)
I don’t know about the west hating you, but that same friend who told me Ana would go to Utah’s daughter trained with her as “just” a JO kid and I’ve heard horror stories for several years so I wasn’t the least bit surprised.

For the record, the West doesn't hate Russia, the West hates the way Russia acts. Though I agree it is sometimes difficult to seperate the asshole from their actions.

But that has nothing to do with Davydova's case and really is a pointless thing to post in a comment.

It will be hard for the FIG to have an individual suspended by a federation on a TC, especially with their supposed stance on SafeSport.
For those that don't know what our friend above is referring to: Elena Davydova not only is a coach in Canada but also a member, representing Canada, of the FIG's Women's Technical Committee that runs the Code of Points and judging at major competitions. Full list of members is below:
1701026833617.png

Does anyone know if Loubov (Burda-)Andrianova is off the committee either temporarily or permanently? On the one hand, the Russian federation was sanctioned, on the other hand, she's an individual person and this is a special kind of situation, maybe.

For those that don't know what our friend above is referring to: Elena Davydova not only is a coach in Canada but also a member, representing Canada, of the FIG's Women's Technical Committee that runs the Code of Points and judging at major competitions. Full list of members is below:
View attachment 9983

Does anyone know if Loubov (Burda-)Andrianova is off the committee either temporarily or permanently? On the one hand, the Russian federation was sanctioned, on the other hand, she's an individual person and this is a special kind of situation, maybe.
She’s still in position, as are all Russian and Belarusian FIG officials

FIG only banned athletes from competing. IIRC, some annual meeting got pulled from Norway, because the Norwegian government refused to issue visas officials from Russia and Belarus; FIG was adamant that they could not be excluded.

There's absolutely not logical consistency to anything FIG does, but that was particularly egregious, imo.

FIG only banned athletes from competing. IIRC, some annual meeting got pulled from Norway, because the Norwegian government refused to issue visas officials from Russia and Belarus; FIG was adamant that they could not be excluded.

There's absolutely not logical consistency to anything FIG does, but that was particularly egregious, imo.
All the Russian officials were in Belgium for the conference they held at Worlds.

FIG officials have always been separate to the countries they are affiliated with. Hence why Jackie Fie was in Moscow in 1980 and Ludmilla Tourischeva in LA 1984, despite their respective countries boycotting. Because they held positions within the FIG.

You are not quite correct in your statement. RUS and BLR who were committee members were allowed to attend events - E.g. Andrianova was able to attend meetings/events as a committee member (if visas were approved) and act as the WTC technical delegate (which is still a huge mistake by the FIG IMHO). Other RUS and BLR judges were not allowed to attend and judge because in order to judge at WC or World Cups, the judges must have at least one athlete from their federation in the respective discipline - hence the reason why no judges from RUS or BLR were present at any of the WC, JWC or World Cups. If the judges were allowed to go, they would have, as these were the events where the JEP were carried out for the OG selection. Even now, if RUS and/or BLR WAG earn a quota(s) via the 2024 World Cup circuit, no judges from RUS or BLR will taking part in the OG. Andrianova will most likely be there as a WTC member (if visas are granted).

The difference in this situation and the situation with Davydova, is that while the RUS federation was banned, she is a member in good standing in her federation. Davydova on the other hand is suspended BY her federation and is thus ineligible for all activities - and remember that it is the federations who put forth the candidates from their federation. As, I mentioned, the optics of having someone who is a suspended federation member still being an active committee member are not good - especially since the FIG has been promoting their SafeSport initiatives so heavily. Imagine (and I only use this as an example) if Nasser had been suspended by USA Gymnastics while going through the legal process and still sitting on the FIG Medical Commission Committee - not a good look by the FIG for allowing it.

You are not quite correct in your statement. RUS and BLR who were committee members were allowed to attend events - E.g. Andrianova was able to attend meetings/events as a committee member (if visas were approved) and act as the WTC technical delegate (which is still a huge mistake by the FIG IMHO). Other RUS and BLR judges were not allowed to attend and judge because in order to judge at WC or World Cups, the judges must have at least one athlete from their federation in the respective discipline - hence the reason why no judges from RUS or BLR were present at any of the WC, JWC or World Cups. If the judges were allowed to go, they would have, as these were the events where the JEP were carried out for the OG selection. Even now, if RUS and/or BLR WAG earn a quota(s) via the 2024 World Cup circuit, no judges from RUS or BLR will taking part in the OG. Andrianova will most likely be there as a WTC member (if visas are granted).

The difference in this situation and the situation with Davydova, is that while the RUS federation was banned, she is a member in good standing in her federation. Davydova on the other hand is suspended BY her federation and is thus ineligible for all activities - and remember that it is the federations who put forth the candidates from their federation. As, I mentioned, the optics of having someone who is a suspended federation member still being an active committee member are not good - especially since the FIG has been promoting their SafeSport initiatives so heavily. Imagine (and I only use this as an example) if Nasser had been suspended by USA Gymnastics while going through the legal process and still sitting on the FIG Medical Commission Committee - not a good look by the FIG for allowing it.
That’s what I meant when I said officials. Judges are not officials, they are appointed by their national federations. They are not salaried by the FIG.

Ana trained in Arizona over Thanksgiving break which is where her boyfriend is from and he’s a student at UCLA so can’t think why he’d be in Utah. If she’s going to Utah I think it would just be to train with Chris Waller. I know she’s familiar with him but has he ever coached elite?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back