Call to BAN the Apparatus Supervisors on FX and the D1 judge on BB

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Denn

Staff member
Defender
Reaction score
Beam D1 judge ZHOU Qiurui — Should be banned. Taking a neutral deduction for failure to acknowledge the D jury — when Biles clearly does acknowledge them — makes this judge come off as a disdainful, miserable person looking to try to make a power move against Biles.

Beam D2 judge SAN MARTIN LOPEZ Maria Jose. Should be questioned as to whether she agreed with the decision.

Floor supervisors — Joanna Gratt from the WTC. Should be banned. Two completely egregious decisions — to the point that it LOOKS like favoritism.

Floor line judges (both from France)
— such people should NOT have the ability to affect scores without inquiry being made. And, as far as I am concerned, if the D-score can be question, and the D jury takes the neutral deductions, than the neutral deductions can be inquired upon.
HEURTEBIZE Rachel
SALAMON Adeline

Last edited:
Thanks @RAFIKI I could not find that. edited my post.

Interesting. Making the decision to take a 0.3 deduction in a final where your nation has athletes competing for medals was quite the bold choice. She have the reputation for being easily offended and/or over stepping?
Total abuse of power.

Interesting the two line judges are from France. No one from France was competing.

Interesting the two line judges are from France. No one from France was competing.

Historically, both the line and time judges are often from the host country. For example, if you look at the results book from the 2004 Olympics, judges from Greece fill those roles.

Interesting. Making the decision to take a 0.3 deduction in a final where your nation has athletes competing for medals was quite the bold choice. She have the reputation for being easily offended and/or over stepping?

There was only one Chinese gymnast in the beam final and she was 1st up so her score was already known. Simone fell off the beam, she wasn't going to score within .3 of the 14.1 ZYQ already had, giving the deduction didn't benefit anyone from China.

Whether Simone adequately saluted the judges or not is subjective. She clearly didn't turn and salute them as she did with every other routine this week. She landed with her arms up and was lowering them as she turned to walk away from the beam. It's a judgement call that ultimately mattered for nothing. Giving her back the .3 doesn't even move her from 5th to 4th, Biles scored 13.1 and Andrade had 13.933.

Xiao Ruoteng was given the same deduction in 2021 during the men's AA final on HB. He landed with his arms up but didn't turn and salute. It didn't change any placements there either.

Re: ND - this is from the appendix under the Role and Responsibilities of the TC President:

"to control the work of the Supervisors and intervene if deemed necessary. Except in case of an inquiry, time or line errors, generally no change of score is allowed after the score has been flashed on the score board;"

It appears that all of the line and time judges were from France. I feel like that is a problem, as it’s clearly not the same level of certification needed.

It appears that all of the line and time judges were from France. I feel like that is a problem, as it’s clearly not the same level of certification needed.

To serve as a time or line judge at the Olympics, a judge must hold a minimum of a Category 3 brevet rating. The French judges were:

Time Judge: Mathieu - Category 3
Line Judge 1: Heurtebize - Category 2
Line Judge 2: Salamon - Category 2

To serve as a time or line judge at the Olympics, a judge must hold a minimum of a Category 3 brevet rating. The French judges were:

Time Judge: Mathieu - Category 3
Line Judge 1: Heurtebize - Category 2
Line Judge 2: Salamon - Category 2
Are they always from the host nation?

Yep. Local judges are cheaper. LOL.

Thread about why the WTC shouldn't be serving on the superior jury.

@Denn I posted this specifically for you because it agrees with you about the WTC.

Last edited:
There was only one Chinese gymnast in the beam final and she was 1st up so her score was already known. Simone fell off the beam, she wasn't going to score within .3 of the 14.1 ZYQ already had, giving the deduction didn't benefit anyone from China.

Whether Simone adequately saluted the judges or not is subjective. She clearly didn't turn and salute them as she did with every other routine this week. She landed with her arms up and was lowering them as she turned to walk away from the beam. It's a judgement call that ultimately mattered for nothing. Giving her back the .3 doesn't even move her from 5th to 4th, Biles scored 13.1 and Andrade had 13.933.
Hold up — the D1 judge does NOT know the E-scores, and a gymnast from her own country had just gotten a good enough E-score with a fall to be in the medals. She could have been providing some insurance. And even if she wasn't, the rule doesn't say "adequately" salute. It says "Failure to acknowledge D-Panel Judges before and/or after exercise". She didn't fail to do that.

Xiao Ruoteng was given the same deduction in 2021 during the men's AA final on HB. He landed with his arms up but didn't turn and salute. It didn't change any placements there either.
I remember it happened, but I don't think I've ever seen video of this. That's a more clear-cut case, based on your description.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back