British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Are we all assuming the Euros squad will be the worlds team, barring injuries? Or might Downies have a shot?

Becky said she wasn’t going to trial for worlds as she wouldn’t be quite back yet. Not sure about Ellie as she hasn’t posted much. I think she did a Cheng into a pit with a mat and if she has usable bars then I can see that taking Georgia off the team.

I think that has to be the default assumption at the moment, provided they all stay healthy. Becky will be out, and Ellie is still a bit of a mystery. None of the next tier down are likely to challenge the top group.

An insanely busy season for Alice and Ondine.

Last edited:
On a separate note, the Gadirovas’ NCAA answer has changed. They seemed pretty against it before (I think I’m thinking about an Inside Gym interview), but their Euros interview answer was “we’ll see”. No guarantee of anything but interesting that they’re considering it more.

On a separate note, the Gadirovas’ NCAA answer has changed. They seemed pretty against it before (I think I’m thinking about an Inside Gym interview), but their Euros interview answer was “we’ll see”. No guarantee of anything but interesting that they’re considering it more.
Amelie is loving Utah and Ondine is off to Cal soon so I imagine that could help sway.
The question is if they would want to be together or go to separate schools. They would have choice of any school in the country, really.

I remember hearing that their coach visited UCLA at some point and that Chris Waller was trying quite hard to recruit them, not sure if that’s true, but I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s where they chose. Their best shot at going viral is there which would help for endorsements and money in the future. It’s a shame UCLA is leaving the PAC-12, because then they’d get to compete against Ondine and Amelie.

Are GB planning on going to the Paris Cup? If so who do you think they’ll send (they can send 4) I assume Shannon Archer and possibly Ruby Stacey not sure on the others.

No idea how close Ellie Downie is to making a team at the moment, but agreed she is the only one who could challenge.

Fenton is only contributing on one event so would be the obvious person to be replaced, but I’ll also point out that based on Euros Jennifer Gadirova is only on the team for one event as well, her beam scores weren’t anything Fenton couldn’t have done instead. Do we know what’s going on with Jennifer - is she likely to do vault, or be considered for AA at Worlds? Is that injury before Euros last year still bothering her? If there is something that could play into any NCAA decision as well.

Short of getting Alice to pretend she was her own twin and doing the AA twice, I’m not sure how many more eggs could’ve been put in that particular basket.
Was gonna say that the Kinsella basket seems a tad full already.

I’m not sure where Ellie is with her injury. At this point, I would think Alice and Jessica are locks, and probably Ondine. Jennifer are GMF are more precarious, although Ellie would need to be in top form really.

The core five from this summer are the locks. I don’t see any of the second tier athletes ie Archer, Simm, the Cardiff lot being able to pass them unless there’s regression. There’s a fair chance the Welsh and Scottish ones will have been aiming to peak for CWG too, since that was the one major competition they knew they’d be at.

I like Stickler and Maracha, but I don’t think they’ll be getting selected for major competitions anytime soon. I feel like for the past fews years there’s always been Welsh gymnasts who did very well in the junior ranks but never transition into successful seniors. Last quad it was Methuen and Bevan, who I was disappointed never seemed to make an impact into GB team selections.

GB needs to do better at developing its B team athletes, a serious injury to Kinsella, Achampong, the Gadirovas (Jess more than Jen) and to a lesser extent GMF would be a massive problem.

I agree with this, especially about the lack of any B team. But when I worked in GB, I found that the top athletes were those on the whole to decided to live and train as top athletes should. The 2nd and 3rd tier athletes seemed to have chosen the Level 10 sort of lifestyle in that they had normal lives and trained 20 hours a week. There aren’t enough gymnasts in GB doing the sort of training necessary to reach top international level.

Another issue seems to be that at the moment, the clubs that have been major elite producers don’t have the gymnasts coming through

Last edited:
I’m excited to see how everyone does at the British and England championships next year. Mainly for the juniors and Aspire (changed form espoir) as they were more effected with their training. Also the European championship aren’t long after so I hope that BG don’t make them trial again and use them results.

I downgraded the Gogean attempt but credited the Switch Full, the Popa and the Switch Ring. 5.8

They gave this a 5.7. Which of those three do you think they downgraded? I would think the most likely is the Switch Full, but I gave it in real time.

If this is not a Switch Ring, then literally only Flavia and Rebeca are getting credit this Quad. Surely this is “Crown of Head”?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back