British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder if they’ll have poppy on the euros team. Although she is a first year senior and they might want to wait it next year or worlds.

At this point, GBR could send a B team to Euros and be totally fine.
Russia is likely out (I was listening to NPR earlier and they predict that the war in Ukraine could last into 2025/2026.
I don’t see the sports ban being lifted.
GBR B team could compete easily with Poland, Romania, Switzerland, Portugal, and Turkey (those teams fighting for 10th- 13th place)

I know medals are important and team gold is also a possibility with Russia out. But they will still have to contend with Italy, Belgium, and France. however, in terms of World qualification, they should do so with ease. Might be a good time to send a completely different team to Euros and allow for some experience and to test depth.

Someone will have to do both CWG and Euros.

Assuming the selection will be made from the 14 gymnasts in the GB senior squad; Shannon Archer, Mali Morgan, Jea Maracha and Poppy Stickler have already been selected for the CWG for Scotland/Wales. Becky Downie is injured. Ellie is coming back from injury and has missed all the selection events.

That leaves eight people for ten places, so at least two will have to do both. And we don’t know what Ruby Stacey or Fragapane managed to show the selectors after being injured earlier in the year.

I think whoever does both is probably going to be someone who isn’t really in the picture for worlds. I can see them prioritising worlds over sending one of the top gymnasts to all three in such a short time period.

Last edited:
I wonder if Jennifer would want to do both since she didn’t do euros last year, but do team finals only. I can see her having a successful CWG and hope they don’t push her too much especially with worlds in Liverpool

Ah, thanks for the number crunching. Hadn’t clocked that they don’t actually have enough for two separate teams now. I do hope they manage to play it at least somewhat sensibly, usual BG caveats. It would be such a shame if they end up being one down at any of the events.

Willy Wonka Suspense GIF

After today, it would be the closest to the games (past 2 times I haven’t checked other years)

Here was me thinking when I saw there was a post on this thread an hour ago that it’d be the team announcement. Hope triumphs over experience there.

I actually barely even care any more now, it’s just attritional. I WILL see this out and finally find out who the England CWG team is.

It’s going to be really tempting for Jen to not just go to both and dominate

remember that year when frags swept everything at CWG

Last edited:
I can see Jennifer doing that, Canada apparently aren’t sending their A team so that Increases her chances of dominating the games

Here was me thinking when I saw there was a post on this thread an hour ago that it’d be the team announcement. Hope triumphs over experience there.
I thought the same when I saw there were six unread posts in this thread.

Gymnasts will be told the Euros selection on the 28th and I think there’s a shorter appeal window for that one (two days IIRC). Saw some speculation that Becky made the CWG team and part of the delay is picking which alternate they want to promote. Can’t remember if the timings make sense for that but even so - this feels very late.

I think they’ll announce both teams at the same time now if Euros selection is only a week away.

It would have made more sense to select both teams at the same time anyway. They can’t select the Euros team without considering the CWG selection and the implications of people doing both. If they want to challenge for a team medal at Euros the CWG panel will have had to think about that even if it wasn’t in the selection criteria. If they do need to select an alternate for CWG how does that work if the alternate is being considered for Euros?

Is it not pretty much impossible now, with Becky out, for there not to be 2 who do both CWG and euros

Yes, unless they add gymnasts to the squad. J175 Did the analysis above in post 1485.

some of those left I don’t think are 4 piece ready. Kelly, Ruby, Frags, Ellie?
CWG is likely to be Alice, Jen, GM plus prob Kelly plus one of those above most ready.

Jess, Ondine for Euros plus maybe Jen and GM. Last one a random choice. I wouldn’t mind seeing Ellie back for that.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back