British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Tyesha Mattis is in the process of switching to represent Jamaica. I hope we get to see her compete as a senior sometime. She’s been constantly injured for years, but was a very promising junior.

Sounds like the intention is for Tyesha Mattis to compete at CWGs. Interesting.

For WAG, this is all of the five gymnasts who competed at the Welsh Championships. They’re all in their first year of senior competition (or, to put it another way, no one older than 16 even tried out for a spot, which is a somewhat strange situation).

2018 team member Holly Jones won vault at the British Championships in November but hasn’t competed since.

These 5 have dominated their age group coming through the compulsory system. I am really looking forwards to seeing how they do.

Have to be in the running for a bronze, or maybe even a silver. Apart from England, Canada, Australia and Wales, there are pretty much no other medal contenders. Unless I’ve forgotten somebody really embarrassingly obvious, of course, which is a possibility.

Have to be in the running for a bronze, or maybe even a silver. Apart from England, Canada, Australia and Wales, there are pretty much no other medal contenders
I agree. It is wide open.
England has to be favorite for gold, but you never know what can happen.

Canada is probably going to send a B team. Their selection procedures state very clearly “Athletes who competed at Senior PanAm Championships are not eligible for selection for Commonwealth Games.” I suspect they’re prioritizing worlds qualification.

I’ve just seen that on twitter. Very sad for her, with so many important competitions coming up in the next few months, especially a home CWG/Worlds.

🤬😭 Noooooo Gymgods! Becky was supposed to win bars in Liverpool 😭 Such a terrible injury track record, especially the timing. Devastating.

Sad Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

Really sad for Becky. That just seems so unfair.

What time does the report come out do we know.

I saw a tweet that said this afternoon and the guardian article says it’s 300 pages

Ive just seen something that says 4 pm so that tallies. Yes it’s huge.

I really hope Becky hasn’t ruptured her achilles due to having to train AA to fulfil BG selection rules. That would make an interesting case to add to BG’s woes.

Just incase anyone here is interested, a video of Beth Tweddle’s bars from the 2011 Worlds prelims has finally surfaced:

Truly agreed about Becky. Why that injury NOW ?! Becky deserves better.

José M.

Unless I’ve forgotten somebody really embarrassingly obvious, of course, which is a possibility.
I wouldn’t count out South Africa. They have their strongest team ever as long as they hit their routines they could surprise. They have two Olympians on the team and both Daires and Rooskrantz are solid scores for the team as long as they hit, which is a big ask.
Daires should make vault finals and Rooskrantz should make bars finals and maybe even medal.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back