British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Appeals open on the 30th so yes the gymnasts will probably be told by the end of this week.

Last edited:
I just wanna say, I am not sold on the idea of appeals. Like, have a trial, let injured gymnasts submit some rationale on why they should still be considered, and then do the math and figure out the team and alternates. picking a team and then having a period where people can complain and play politics, and you could potentially lose your spot just seems rife with problems and likely to cause future conflict. Like, how well would a team gel if you had previously lost your spot at a big comp to gymnast x (after being told you were on the team) but now you have to compete with them. Obviously an adult would try to act professionally but lots of gymnasts are kids or barely adults and might not have the life skills to cope with stuff like that. And appeals just indicates that you either didn’t make a good enough case the first time, the decision was made without full information, or some combo of the two.

Can anyone make an argument why they are a good thing? Is there something i am missing?

Losing your spot because someone appealed would be incredibly difficult to handle and be emotionally very difficult. I can’t see that it benefits anyone. I’m with you I think it just causes more problems than it solves. They are probably required to offer one under the blah blah rules of today. Got to be seen to be fair (just don’t actually have to be fair).

Also if you did appeal wouldn’t you be blacklisted by the national coaches forever. You would have to be brave to do that.

Halle Hilton has announced she is switching from competing for GB to competing for Ireland. A few days ago in IG she was cryptically posting about a “new chapter” so I guess this was it. I’ll post her announcement below.
Me, my coaches Josie, Becky and the team at Pipers Vale have been discussing our preparation for the up and coming trials and competitions for many months now. I have thought about my path and direction very carefully over the last few months. The Commonwealth Games trials last weekend was supposed to be my first trial back after COVID. Unfortunately I made the decision not to do the trial and to step away from my position in senior GB National Squad. It was a difficult decision as I have spent 9 years as a proud member of the GB National squad and committed my life to the dream, the squad was my second family and I will miss the girls very much x
I would like to thank British Gymnastics for the opportunities and competitive experiences over the years.
As some may know, my brother was a gymnast, he competed internationally for Ireland many years ago. This has always been something I have discussed and considered for myself over the years given the positive experience my brother had travelling and competing with the team at Gymnastics Ireland.
Yesterday, my request was officially excepted by the FIG and Gymnastics Ireland to become part of the Irish Gymnastics squad. I’m very excited to say, as of today, I will be competing for team Ireland at any events I’m lucky enough to be considered for. People that know me will understand when I say, I will commit 100% to the dream, the team and the hard work required. Me, Josie, Becky and my team would like to thank Gymnastics Ireland for the support and opportunity, we are real excited and can’t wait to see what the future has is store for us. :ireland:
#andsoitbegins #anewchapture
Makes sense considering she was more of a B team gymnast and was unlikely to be selected for major competitions without injuries to others. However, it seems odd that she was at the GB squad and was going to participate in the CWG trial but then suddenly decided not to? Wonder what happened there.

The way the policies are written (something like they can only appeal if the process in this policy is not followed) leaves it impossible to appeal because the processes aren’t even clear. You can’t appeal vague criteria.

I wonder if her application came through faster than expected? Either way, good luck to her and Team Ireland.

I suspect she and her coaches knew or were given the hint that she wasn’t in contention for anything. She had a relatively poor result at the British and probably knew the writing was on the wall for her squad place in the future. I couldn’t be wrong but I feel like she plateaud 3 years ago and couldn’t offer any more.

I am sure she will get a lot more opportunities with Ireland.

its on here too open to read.

Basically she was investigated and stepped down voluntarily while they investigated. The claims were not upheld and her suspension was lifted (I didn’t know that they never publish the outcomes they should) but there are further historic claims being looked into .

BG and Reddin have mutually agreed she will leave the post. The end

The Whyte review was supposed to be out weeks ago. I hear it is with BG for them to read and prepare their responses and remedial ideas and that it contains some bad stuff but no ideas what.

If these new claims are not upheld she could go somewhere and coach. I presume she can’t at the moment while they are looking at them.

Does this mean they’re requiring AA to even be considered for a spot?

Any final guesses for upcoming teams? Here’s my attempt at throwing names at the wall.

CWG England
Jennifer Gadirova
Fragapane
Kinsella
Simm
Someone new

Euros GBR
Jessica Gadirova
Fenton
Becky Downie
Achampong
Healthiest from CWG

I’d switch Ondine and Alice if it wasn’t for Alice being from the Birmingham area.

Last edited:
It’s so hard to predict. But I’m fairly confident Kinsella will do CWG and Jessica will do Euros. Is Fragapane in any kind of shape yet? I don’t think she was at the British champs, but my memory is shot. Not sure they’d send both GMF and Downie to the same one meet, they’d need an UB anchor at both. I’ll go with:

CWG:
Kinsella
Simm
GMF
Jennifer
???

Euros
Jessica
Ondine
Becky (maybe swap her and GMF around)

Ran out of names. They might have to send someone to both- GMF, perhaps? Kinsella and Jennifer are still recovering injuries.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back