British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

But what frustrates me is that there is SO much potential.

They can BOTH do a full on beam dismount, right?

They can also BOTH do a Silivas.

And I know that at least Jen can absolutely Amanar. She ends that DTY with arms wide apart, fully opened out and extended. Almost as much as an MDJDS DTY.

Just these couple of upgrades could nudge them each into high 56 territory which absolutely could snag a bronze tomorrow.

I know they want to play safe etc but part of me wants them to just throw the extra difficulty in the AA. They both have nothing to lose. 7th or 15th - what’s the difference? But 3rd…

What I also love is that they’re making a name for themselves in the international judging community. They’ve both been given absolutely stellar E scores on floor. The international judges LOVE them.

Was just rewatching video of their floor, recommending them to people I know who don’t understand why the USA E scores on floor are so low. “Watch them, do the USA gymnast look anywhere close to this?!” They are so lovely and engaging.

And that floor final is wide open if it is without Simone. Only 3 tenths between 1st and 8th qualifier. It will be about whoever hits that day. The twins really have a shot here.

hey are 16 years old at their first major international competition. Don’t we usually praise coaches who pace their gymnasts, even when they are capable of far harder skills. Like Aimee Boorman
Yes! It’s by no means a criticism. Like I said, it’s a frustration that there’s so much untapped potential and that they’re so close to being able to compete at the top top AA podium level.

She hasn’t been doing the full in beam dismount, so she isn’t completely completely back even if she’s fully healthy.

Reactions: L_R

Funny how, through circumstances somewhat out of their control, this has ended up being British WAG most successful Olympics by a mile. Bronze in TF, 2 gymnasts in EF. Highest placing in AA ever.

Last edited:
Becky has her big combination back 👀

[IMG alt="2,531 Likes, 16 Comments - Becky Downie (@bdownie92) on Instagram: “Failure and frustration are two of the best things that can happen to you if you handle them the right way”
#nevergiveup 🤍"]https://gymnaverse.com/uploads/defa...7df7fdb0b5ad5105124143b3_2_281x500.jpeg[/IMG]

Crazy that Suni’s miss and a 14.5 got a bars medal…

I bet Riley and Becky both didn’t enjoy watching that final.

Last edited:
Based on 2021 Euros, 2020 Scam, and 2019 Worlds scores:

:vt: Jennifer (14.566), Jessica (14.7 - Q) Ellie (15.033 - EF)
:ub: Jessica (13.7 - Q), Ellie (14.033 - TF), Becky (15.00 - EF)
🇧🇧 Jessica (13.5 - AA), Becky (13.566 - TF), Jennifer (13.933)
:fx: Ellie (13.466 - 2019 EUROS) Jennifer (13.7), Jessica (13.866 - Q)

= 169.063

In Worlds 2019 prelims, USA 174.2, CHN 169.1 and RUS 168.0.
In Worlds 2019 TF, USA 172.3, RUS 166.5, ITA 164.7, CHN 164.2.

This is a great team if they don’t fuck up and if Ellie can Cheng in TF.
Crazy to look back at this and see RUS got 169.5, USA for 166.0 and GBR got 164.1

To compare directly:

:vt: Alice (14.266), Jessica (14.433), Jennifer (14.433),
:ub: Jessica (13.566), Amelie (14.033), Alice (14.166)
🇧🇧 Amelie (12.233), Jennifer (13.3), Alice (13.333)
:fx: Alice (12.8), Jennifer (13.7), Jessica (13.833).

Last edited:
So looking back - this was when she got told she was gonna be trialling on Gymnova bars, right?

And I imagine the whole Olympic team will be in the running for Worlds? Unless Amelie is going to the US in time for the start or this term?

I think Amelie posted somewhere she was starting in the autumn, so presumably this term.
Personally I’d rather see GMF, Ondine, and a couple of others. Let the others rest, and let a few others get international experience. Next year will be a busy one with CWG, Euros and worlds all within a few months.

I guess so re Gymnova bars Doug1233.

I wonder if worlds has a chance of being the double Downies and the Gadirovi?

Since it’s an individual worlds: Jenn AA, Jess AA, Ellie (VT, FX if back in time), Becky (UB, BB) would be very strong and has potential for five EF and two AA finalists.

I thought Alice might retire but the lure of two big home championships next year is strong. There certainly will be lots of chances for everyone next year. I hope Ondine gets selected for something.

Last edited:
Alice will stay I think, she’s from Birmingham so it would be a big deal to her

Since it’s an individual worlds: Jenn AA, Jess AA, Ellie (VT, FX if back in time), Becky (UB, BB) would be very strong and has potential for five EF and two AA finalists.
Well, this was supposed to be the Olympic team! And by my prior calculations - using “best” scores from 2019-2021 (international meets only), had the potential to beat the US TF score for silver.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back