British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Another what if……

Do you think they would have taken her if this wasn’t a pandemic Olympics and the alternate situation was normal?

I am devastated for Becky. I am deeply suspicious of BG’s lame explanations for keeping her off of the team. Their behavior towards Becky, and by extension her loved ones at such a heartbreaking time, is reprehensible. Unforgivable. You have to be a real a$$hole, missing some part of your soul or just common human decency, to force Becky to petition on the very day of her beloved baby brother’s funeral. If it had been me, I think that I would have smacked a person or two or more at BG. The shit for brains who made these disgusting decisions well deserve the public flogging they are getting on social media. 😡 It would serve them right to lose their funding, or better yet, their jobs!

I wish Becky and Ellie much love ❤️❤️ and every success, whatever their future endeavors. I do hope that the girls that ARE heading to Tokyo, do well there. None deserve any of the bullying that I’ve seen online, those ogres are just as bad as the vindictive asswipes at BG.

ETA: I’d love it if Becky were to compete for another country. It’d serve BG right!

Last edited:
No. It still leaves the possibility of her having a platform, and erodes the bullshit ‘justification’ they’ve seen fit to come up with. If the alleged main priority is guarding against the low possibility of having to count a 0 on floor in prelims and protecting the ability to place 6th, and you aren’t actually interested in winning individual medals or maximising the team score ie the things Becky offered, you want AA alternates.

To be honest, the majority of the alternate options (the others who trialled, anyway- I have no idea who the alts are) would struggle to hit a 53 AA.
The justification makes no sense. GB are screwed if any of these four can’t compete. They’d struggle to make TF in that case. (and the remaining three would have to do AA anyway, as they’d be the highest scoring)
Logically, at that point, there is no reason not to take someone who could make a final and maybe a medal.

I’m gutted about that fall on the dismount. I really do think that that was all BG needed to keep her off the team.

“Oh, she fell …? On her only event … ? Well…”

I’ll be cursing that mat for months.

That’s lovely! Huge congrats to Mrs. Jennifer (Pinches) McIlveen! 💍💒💘:bride_with_veil:🤵‍♂️💘🎉🎊🎉🎊✨🎇🎆✨🎇🎆

Absolutely no apology required. It’s nice to have some positive news in here after the last week.

7.8 for the first UB routine, 7.3 for the second (this was noticeably cleaner and on track for a better score than the first until the dismount), and 8.4 for the beam routine, which cuts out after her low-to-beam work?

Last edited:
I have 8.5 and 7.7 for the two bars exercises. (I think you switched your scores.)

The routines were almost carbon copies of each other before the dismount.

What’s the D-score? I didn’t compute yet.

Last edited:
Would you mind doing a breakdown? That’s significantly below what I had.

Becky Downie - Routine 1

stalder full
  • (angle of completion → between 11 and 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
Ricna
  • (flexed foot) 0.1
  • (bent arms upon regrasp) 0.1
Pak salto
  • (flexed feet on swing into element) 0.1
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.1
cast to handstand with legs straddled
  • (body posture, slight pike in hips) 0.1
Hindorff
  • (insufficient height → hips at bar height upon regrasp) 0.1
  • (bent arms upon regrasp) 0.1 ^
Tweddle
  • (lack of precision / incomplete turn) 0.1
Ezhova
  • (insufficient height) 0.1 / 0.3
van Leeuwen
  • (lack of precision / turn not fully completed before regrasp) 0.1 ^
  • (angle of completion → past 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
full twisting double tuck
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (body posture, chest forward) 0.1
  • (step on landing) 0.1
Total Deductions - (1.5 - 1.9) 8.1 - 8.5

Becky Downie - Routine 2

stalder full
  • (lack of precision / alignment) 0.1
  • (grip adjustment) 0.1
Pak salto
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (angle of completion → between 31 and 45 degrees of handstand) 0.1
Hindorff
  • (insufficient height → hips at bar height upon regrasp) 0.1
Tweddle
  • (lack of precision / incomplete turn) 0.1
Ezhova
  • (insufficient height) 0.1 / 0.3
van Leeuwen
  • (lack of precision / turn not fully completed before regrasp) 0.1 ^
  • (angle of completion → past 30 degrees of handstand) 0.1
full twisting double tuck
  • (flexed feet) 0.1
  • (fall) 1.0
Total Deductions - (2.2 - 2.5) 7.5 - 7.8

Last edited:
Thank you! If you had to give a score for each routine, what would be your real role E score?

I have 8.3 for the first and 7.6 for the second. I agree with rue_due_plantes that the second routine is very noticeably cleaner sans dismount: full turn is completed in handstand, Pak is higher, taps before dismount don’t have as much knee bend…

Ok so far we have 14.000 and 14.667 (based on 5 judges and using Concordes “low end”) scores.

Any others want to jump in?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back