British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I am going by what she showed in 2019 at Worlds.
Maybe I am making an assumption, but I would think if she had it in 2019 in preparation for 2020 Olympics, she would continue training both events through postponement.

She did have a Twitter or Instagram post where she discussed she was training the AA. I am sure it is in her archives, but it would be a search.

Umit Samiloglu of Turkey vaulted in competition for the first time in 9 years at the 2020 Europeans as a last minute injury replacement, otherwise they would have received a 0.
Ibrahim Colak, who never does FX put up an emergency FX in which his first tumbling line was just a back layout.

I am sure Becky still has the same floor routine with possible upgrades and also is training VT, even as something simple as a Yurchenko Layout.

As of March 2020 (granted that was a year ago), Becky Downie was training a 1 1/2 stepout through to ADF on FX: https://www.rockergymnastics.com/wo...mpic-year-upgrades-in-womens-gymnastics-y3tna

It doesn’t make sense that she would have continued all this time for Tokyo and not even bring back a simple FX and VT seeing as the teams are 4 members and its 4-4-3 in TQ.

If we use that assumption, then we should be giving Ellie a spot.

You might as well put Bailey Key on the Rio team based on her 2014 Pac Rim performance.

I’m sure Becky could do a layout yurchenko if she absolutely had to. I doubt she’s kept the ADF but she could put together a 4.0 FX routine in a pinch. She could basically just do her beam routine on the floor to music if she REALLY had to!

Last edited:
Now you are reaching.

Ellie Downie is injured and unable to compete at her best. This was the primary factor into why she took herself out of the running for the Olympic team.

I don’t understand the Bailie Key reference, as by 2016 she was decimated by back injury and couldn’t compete.

Becky is as far as we know not injured and had made a serious commitment toward making the Olympic team. Just because we have not seen it, doesn’t mean she is not training VT or FX.
We know she doesn’t make the team for those two events, but it is not unreasonable to consider that she has something as back up. We know she has a FX routine from 2019 that she demonstrated in podium training.

If not a Yurchenko full, perhaps a Yurchenko half on pike front off, or just a handspring piked front (both of which she had used earlier in her career.)

There is no way that Becky Downie, at her ability level, can’t produce a handspring piked front if it was needed for the team.

Last edited:
My point is that you can’t use Becky doing an FTY two years ago as a realistic assumption for her still being able to do an FTY now. Same goes with the ADF.

Ellie looked great 2 years ago. Bailey looked great 2 years before Rio.

That’s all.

But I would obviously love it if your assumption was right!!

And yes I’m sure she’s still doing the occasional Layout into the pit. I hope so anyway.

Last edited:
Key and Ellie were/are injured. That is why they were/are not how they were/are two years previously. Injury is the reason.

Becky has not been injured (that I am aware of) so it is a definite realistic assumption that a gymnast would continue to train the same routine and maybe even upgrade since 2019 Worlds. Becky had a FTY in 2019 so it is reasonable she would still have that vault 2 years later if the plan was to do AA again to improve chances of making the 4 person Olympic team.

Becky’s feet and ankles are PERPETUALLY injured.

Why do you think she stopped doing AA?

Ellie actually left the trial in Cardiff before Becky as she aggravated her injuries in the training. It Becky was informed late in the night and went home thereafter.

Sorry, meant to say major injury. Ellie’s was a major injury and is likely still effecting her. Hence the decision to withdraw from the process.

I know Becky chose to specialize but she is also making a commitment to Tokyo and knows AA is needed. She said it herself. I am not saying she is doing FX and VT every single day in training but the fact she showed up in Stuttgart with a FX and VT when we hadn’t seen it in years shows she has at least put in place an AA program, even if her VT and FX wouldn’t be used in a TQ or TF situation, if there is an emergency and she is needed to provide a score other than 0. She will.

Look at Turkey MAG!
Samiloglu did a FTT in competition for the first time in 9 years because of a last second injury in competition. Colak did FX with a back layout opening pass.

If Becky makes the Tokyo team (and I suspect she will) She will do VT and FX for that very reason of “in case of emergency”

Oh wow. So she pulled out of contention before she even found out.

I really hope she has been! And you’re right, she hadn’t shown any sign of a floor routine before PT in 2019 so that was a great surprise.

I didn’t see her vault an FTY in 2019. Can u link it?

I haven’t found a video of it anywhere unfortunately. But I remember a Podium Training live blog that posted Becky did FX with the passes she showed in the video and also a FTY.

Becky did 3 trials that we know of so far, and didn’t show a FX or VT is any of them though. If she intended on doing them in quals, I would have thought she’d have them at the trials.

[No message]

Attachments

• 3ADA8C3A-F908-4230-86DE-55BCB482496A.jpeg
    3ADA8C3A-F908-4230-86DE-55BCB482496A.jpeg
    67.4 KB · Views: 8

If that’s not a deduction free switch ring I don’t know what is.

Last edited:

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back