British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Ha yes! Seeing as these ARE THE OLYMPIC BARS!

Now Ellie is out of the running, it’s probably now a “Amelie v Becky” situation.

Alice and the two Gadirovas are obviously locks.

I mean, she vaulted a Lopez the other day. She wasn’t limping. It can’t be that bad. She’s 16 not 24.

Rest up a few weeks and hopefully should be fine.

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that Becky really must go to the Olympics.

Very sad about Ellie but it’s a mature and self-aware decision to take care of herself. It does make me even more curious to know what would have happened in the parallel universe where the Cardiff trials went as planned. I expect the selectors feel a little bit of relief at having one less headache. Jennifer vs Ellie was a difficult decision.

I agree Doug1233. With apologies to Amelie, I will now be very surprised if it’s not Jessica, Jennifer, Alice and Becky.

It’s going to be a really weird atmosphere trialing one gymnast, if indeed that’s what they end up doing. Wonder how much time they’ll give her between routines?

Presumably 2 days. If they’re trying to mimic the original Trial as much as possible.

Even if she doesn’t Trial again - her 14.3 during the Trial selection period puts her in the top scoring team. And we have all seen that she is clearly capable of more.

She’s our only solid shot of a medal. She HAS to go.

I think Ellie is more injured than we knew. If she was 100% healthy and at full difficulty it might be different. I am sure her brother’s death impacted her greatly as it would anyone, but the injuries are likely too great at this point. Skipping Worlds means she is taking time off to heal emotionally but also physically.

I hope Ellie rebounds and comes back in 2022. With the Gadirovas, Morgan, Achampong, and potentially Fenton back next cycle the British team is looking to be in very good shape and IMO will be contenders for team medals at Euros and Worlds. Who knows if Kinsella will continue on as well.

VT (Morgan) Gad 1, Gad 2, Ellie
UB (Gad 1, Gad 2) Ellie, Achampong, Morgan
BB (Gad 1/Gad 2) Gad 1/Gad 2, Achampong, Morgan
FX (Morgan) Gad 1, Gad 2, Ellie

AA: Morgan, Gad 1/2
UB/BB: Achampong
VT/UB/FX: Ellie
VT/BB/FX: Gad 1/2

Last edited:
It’s hard to say as the British champs have been cancelled the last two years, and who knows who is still competing, but the Espoirs in 2019 had some decent scores, IIRC.

Could a team of Jess, Jen, Becky and Alice challenge for bronze if they hit and one of Chinese or Russia implode?

Yes if they hit and they implode. Italy or Japan might also have a shot in that scenario too.

Last edited:
Would Brazil not stand a chance, too?

China will need to implode big time to not win a medal, methinks. Russia imploding enough to lose a medal is very realistic in my mind.

Brazil don’t have a full team there.

Without a full strength Ellie, I really don’t know. There’s nothing much to choose between her and Alice on beam and bars for hit routines, but using Alice’s DTY instead of Ellie’s Cheng loses almost a point, and then perhaps another half point on floor. That plus the fact that they’re going to have to use a mid 13 on bars best case scenario, which was inevitable with both Gadirovas there, makes me think it would be a struggle.

If you do the maths, the best case scenario including upgrades does leave them beating Russia’s silver total from 2019 worlds, but both Russia and China would expect to significantly improve this time round.

But Russia is still Russia on BB. All 4 leading contenders to make the Tokyo team fell off BB at Euros in prelims. Melnikova fell again in AA.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back