British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Didn't GMF also take them out of medal contention in Antwerp with her low 12s on UB/BB in TF? Give them two points back and they were in for bronze with France.

Didn't GMF also take them out of medal contention in Antwerp with her low 12s on UB/BB in TF? Give them two points back and they were in for bronze with France.
Yes. GB were 2.2 behind France, and both falls were of the expensive, D score reducing variety top iirc.

Such a shame for GMF, because she was very clutch the year before, and doesn't have a bad record overall. To the extent that I think if she gets an international assignment now and hits cold, she's back in contention... but it really does seem to have gone from bad to worse for her lately. If she's amenable, it'd be a good idea for GB to send her to Doha or a challenge cup. Picking teams based even partially on results so early in the season is very complex.

I'd love to see that Jake Jarman 9.0 High bar exercise if anyone sees a video. (I looked... nothing yet.)

Yet scarily this was still good enough for 5th AA. There is no better indication of GB’s depth issues.

Yeah - there is not a lot of depth

BB seemed to suck for everyone almost yesterday - while Ondine was clearly the best with the crazy 14.7 - second place on bb went to Amelie on 13.5 - so huge gaps

Without Alice, Jess and Jen there were few DTYs on vault as well

Lovely to see Shannon Archer become British vault champion in her last ever performance.

Although it’s kind of mad that a national champion in a top 5 gymnastics nation, is retiring 4 months before the the Olympics

Lovely to see Shannon Archer become British vault champion in her last ever performance.

Although it’s kind of mad that a national champion in a top 5 gymnastics nation, is retiring 4 months before the the Olympics
Didn’t she come second? It is mad, particularly with all the injuries.

Fenton down on tkachev half... yikes.

I think she needs to attend one of the international FIG events if she wants to make the team at this point.

Well, to make selection even harder, Downie also falls and scores a 12.9. Morgan finishes in third place after coming in as a reserve and Achampong is the new British champion on bars. Martin in 5th with a 13.1, i think her first 13+ ever on bars. On to BB…

Achampong won AA, UB 14.3 (5.9D), BB (13.6, 5.6D) and FX (12.8, 5.2D).
Morgan second on Beam with 13.450 (5.6D)

Fenton is the one with a serious problem, IMO. Achampong is looking like a viable UB anchor behind Kinsella (assuming she's OK) and Downie. I think Morgan, with her reliable BB, has done enough to earn a shot at Euros.

I think the final spot is between Morgan and Fenton. Fenton needs another competition and a strong UB, BB performance in order to make the team but if everyone is healthy, I don't think she has earned a Euros spot after shaky performances at British Champs, English Champs and Worlds TF. She might need to compete in Doha or one of the Challenge Cups.

Last edited:
Well this meet seems to have given the selectors a huge headache as almost no one had a great competition.

Ondine seems to have consolidated her position by winning AA and 3 apparatus golds - but did not score as well in bb and FX in EF today. In fact nobody broke 13 on fx ef which must be a worry.

Becky has been hit and miss (like everyone else) but when she hits can add over a point to the tf total.

GMF has had a bad couple of days on UB and BB and had that totally scary vt warm up- she scratched FX final despite being top qualifier - is she injured after vt?

Amelie - had a shaky day one but medalled on UB and BB on day 2 - she seems at the moment a better bet to fill the GMF spot

Ruby Evans had a good day 1 but seems to have scratched from finals but in her favour was one of only 2 gymnasts to break 14 on vt which may make her invaluable

VT and FX seem very exposed without Jess and Alice. Nobody broke 13 in FX EF - Ondine won with 12.8. Nobody broke 14 in VT EF which was won by Shannon Archer at her farewell event.

Then there are the injury issues the Gadirovas seem to be out and Alice has her arm in bandages.

It feels like they need some additional selection events nearer the Olympics - at the moment who can really tell who will be on form in 4-5 months time?

Welcome to our Gymnastics Message Board

Members see FEWER ads... so join today

Back