British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

He was ill?

I’m hearing some people saying Sudden Adult Death Syndrome… terrifying

He is definitely family. He’s in both of their instragrams. How awful.

This is devastating. The Downies are having a purely shit 2021, but it does put things into perspective a little. There is more to life than gymnastics and the Olympics. The Olympics would pass by in a flash, but the loss of their brother will stay with them for their lifetimes. How sad and I send out my condolences to them.

Wow! So sad :cry: and terrifying.
Not trying to spread gossip, or false information, but I am seeing a source saying the Downies have a younger brother Josh.

To be fair, I wasn’t reading any gym gossip drama about their not attending today. All the drama I’ve read was re: Becky’s tweets and the PW response.

But a good thing there wasn’t.

God knows what happens now. I’m sure selection is the last thing on their minds right now. But it puts GB selectors in a rather awkward position…

How awful :cry: devastating for the family. So young! My heart goes out to them all ❤️

So horrible and devastating. Thinking of them and the rest of his family and friends.

My brain is split between empathy and sadness as well as being boggled by the utter quandary the selectors have now.

Last edited:
So, I don’t mean to be the one asking awkward questions at times like these but … wtf is gonna happen with GB selection?

Can they maybe given a chance to have a week off and then trial again, virtually? Like via a live stream or something, which can be verified etc.

I’m sure their brother wouldn’t have wanted all their hard work and sacrifice to be lost as a result of what’s happened.

But - it’s not like the team can’t be selected. What the hell is gonna happen?

I would say let them try virtually or in person in June. I think it’s a bit much to ask them to do an Olympic Trial 1-2 weeks, or even 3 weeks, after a sibling’s death.

This might be arbitrary and be seen as superior timing, physical pacing-wise, but I do not know how anybody could argue this is any kind of net advantage, or that it doesn’t fall under the “extenuating circumstances” clause of the selection procedures.

Last edited:
I mean the announcement of the team is like, 25 May?

Maybe the selectors could give them until a few days prior, and say you need to score X in order to be selected. Verified video.

Otherwise it becomes really unfair on Alice and Amelie. This is their lives too. I can’t imagine the anguish of waiting.

Of course, Becky will be swinging on a different set of bars to Alice and Amelie…

The gymnasts and coach are informed on 12th May, according to selection criteria. Then there is a window for appeals before public announcement.

Glad I’m not a selector.

Well I guess that’s my point. What on earth can be done in the next three days to accommodate “extenuating circumstances”?

It is a horrible situation to say the least. Of course the circumstances are extenuating and they should be able to have a chance to trial after having some time to deal with everything. I think in fairness, that if (when) they are able to have their chance either via live-virtual or live in-person then the same situation should be afforded to the other competitions. Even though the reason is horrible, the extra time would allow things to heal or at least feel a bit less sore or painful and all of the athletes should be given the same privilege.

Of course. But practically what does that mean. What dates?

There’s a two week appeal period written into the rules. What if Downies do well in the Trial in let’s say, two weeks, and Amelie wants to appeal the decision?

Saying “give them time to heal” is of course the kind and proper thing to do, but what does that even look like?

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back