British WAG (and MAG!) talk

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

So similar to WAG, MAG is basically down to one/two gymnast(s) for Worlds.

WAG is Jess, Ondine, Becky, Alice and one of Jenn, Georgia, or Ruby.

MAG is Jake, Joe, Giarnni, Courtney, and one of James, Max, or Adam

Your prediction should include both Gadirovas, should include Jenn besides Jess. Also, good thing that you include Alice. Alice is a truly valuable player.

José M.

From these scores the top three on each event are:

FX: Jarman (15), Hall (14), Hepworth (13.7)
PH: Whitlock (15), Nathan (14.6), Hall (13.9)
SR: Hepworth (14.5), Tulloch (14.35), Hall (13.95)
VT: Jarman (15.6), Tulloch (15.1), Hepworth/Whitehouse (14.7)
PB: Hall (14.7), Jarman (14.4), Tulloch (14)
HB: Jarman (13.8), Hall (13.3), Cemlyn-Jones (13)

I think only Jarman and Hall can sleep soundly. I’m not sure when the last time Tulloch was outscored by a Brit on rings was, however doing AA helps him a lot and he’s top three on three events. Whitlock’s PB (13.9) and HB (12.9) are each only one tenth off being top three so that’s good news for him.

Surprising not to see Fraser and GRM compete but I’m not sure what stage they are at in their respective recoveries. However the events included in selection consideration go as far back as 2022 Euros so if they are healthy they are still in contention.

Glad I’m not picking.

Last edited:
These are the events you have to have competed at to be considered…
IMG_2872

Tactically, the MAG are in a really interesting position. Being qualified for Paris already plus MAG being more affected by the Asian Games clash means they have a wider variety of potential approaches on offer to them than most leading teams at a worlds.

They could decide to focus on individual medal chances since they don’t actually have to emphasise the team total. Or they could go completely the other way, and decide that with no Russia and with at least the possibility that China will send some of their A team to the Asian Games, the competition for gold will never be weaker. It’s seldom we see such a range of permutations.

Just taking the highest scoring team from that trial would be Jarman, Hall, Tulloch, Whitlock and Hepworth. That would give four routines on every event with Tulloch doing AA. Pommels might not be fun.

Joe Fraser is on the registration for Szombathely next month. I suspect that means Worlds is the plan, it’d be a bit unusual for a gymnast of his calibre to show up just for one Challenge Cup at the end of the season. No idea about GRM.

Edit: If the Challenge Cups haven’t already been mentioned here, Cameron Lynn is registered for Mersin (1-3 September), Fraser, Sam Mostowfi, Ruby Stacey and Evie Flage-Donovan for Szombathely the week after.

Last edited:
Registered for the Paris Challenge Cup (16-17 September, so two weeks before Worlds):

MAG: Jake Jarman, Harry Hepworth, Max Whitlock, Luke Whitehouse, Courtney Tulloch.

WAG: Georgia-Mae Fenton, Poppy-Grace Stickler

Something like this?

FX: Hall, Hepworth, Jarman
PH: Jarman, Hall, Whitlock
SR: Hall, Hepworth, Tulloch
VT: Hepworth, Tulloch, Jarman
PB: Tulloch/Whitlock, Jarman, Hall
HB: Whitlock, Hall, Jarman

Perhaps Tulloch on PB so Whitlock can focus on tidying up his HB.

Last edited:
I didn’t realize Whitlock was still competing, or is this a comeback?

As per @J175s calculations, they’ve picked the highest scoring team from the trial scores. Maybe that indicates what the priority is going to be.

I knew they’d take Max but hope he doesn’t win pommels. Not unless he’s got better at extension. Rhys, to my uneducated eye, does much more attractive work.

Last edited:
He was always planning to take a break after Tokyo and then return to competition. He has done a good job of pacing himself with longevity in mind.

Tbh, I totally forgot he was even in Tokyo. His feet bother me so much I’ve just blocked him out of my memory.

Final selection event for WAG is this weekend.

Facebook suggested a Park Wrekin good luck Alice post which included this 🌈 leotard photo. I think I like it but I need to see it in action.

IMG_2931

Wonder if anyone will be the Jarman of the team and post their trial videos?

Poppy did a instagram live last night I think everyone but Claudia and Kelly are trialling. Not sure about Jess as she’s got enough to back her up in selection. Also some of the development squad girls with there, so it probably being used for multiple events

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back