2026 Commonwealth Games- Glasgow, Scotland are the new host.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Singapore is super tiny. I’m not sure it has the facilities for a multi sport event.

They did hold the 2010 Youth Olympics, although I have no sense of which is bigger between that and the Commonwealth Games.

This annoys me because they haven’t held it for years and years. Yet they turn up everytime happy to scoop up the medals. They are one of the biggest and most affluent of the CW countries and should pull their weight really.

Having said that I’m all for a change to the way it is held now. Pick a country not a city. Spread the events out around the country using existing venues. Have a small opening and closing thing in one city.

They had already moved to that, with regions/provinces supposed to be hosting the next 2 games but still they can’t make it viable

“The British government has told Commonwealth Games organisers that the United Kingdom will not step in to rescue the event again after the Gold Coast withdrew its bid for the 2026 edition.”

Mind you, this likely means we are definitely hosting given my current confidence in government statements.

In fairness it's not like this lot are going to have much more opportunity to keep to anything they've said.

I know that some Brits and maybe others will hate this comment, but I sometimes wonder if the Commonwealth Games maintains the meaning it used to have and if it maybe distracts from other competitions that are more meaningful...

Speaking only from the standpoint of gymnastics.

I know that some Brits and maybe others will hate this comment, but I sometimes wonder if the Commonwealth Games maintains the meaning it used to have and if it maybe distracts from other competitions that are more meaningful...

The big issue that the CWGs has is that it’s almost impossible to hold it at a convenient time for every sport. So it becomes a secondary event in the season for many sports.

I feel that for gymnasts who are not going to qualify for worlds or Olympics, it’s a good chance to compete in a big competition, that’s about all. I like to watch prelims and see athletes from smaller feds. Not that bothered about watching UK home nations, AUS and Canada in finals.

In Australia, it’s still a big deal to be named to a Commonwealth Games team and to win a medal. CWG is televised live, it’s an opportunity for promotion/sponsorships.

It's been a huge opportunity, particularly since we implemented qualification for worlds, for gymnasts in much smaller programmes and at lower levels to compete in a multi sport competition, be the centre of attention in a large venue and in many cases be in with some chance of making a final. That's one of the things that made it as meaningful to participating gymnasts as it evidently is.

It looks like 2022 may have been the final one. If so, I'm very glad the gymnasts who'll never get anywhere near the Olympics got that one last chance to compete in a full arena with a crowd that appreciated and encouraged every single one of them.

I still think the CWG is meaningful for the gymnasts. It might not contain the 'top' nations but it's such a great opportunity these nations to gain exposure in their respective countries, compete in finals and compete under high pressure situations.

It's also the only large competition we get to see the UK countries compete separately. I really enjoy seeing the full Welsh and Scottish teams with gymnasts we dont usually see.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Back