2026 Commonwealth Games- Glasgow, Scotland are the new host.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I wonder if it will ever return to the Commonwealth Games.
I believe the reasoning behind its introduction was that it was a sport that was very underdeveloped across the commonwealth countries. This being the era before any significant immigration from Eastern Europe to English speaking commonwealth nations (and Cyprus. I’ve never been to Cyprus and not ran into someone I know from Moscow). So it was a chance to give opportunities to athletes who would never otherwise compete at major international competitions, let alone medal. Plus Canada had enough of a quality program that it wouldn’t appear completely basic.

I am intrigued as to why it was left out in 2002. There doesn’t seem to be any obvious reason and in the run up to 2006, there was a lot of excitement within the British RG community that it would be included in 2006. Particularly for those of us with a northern Irish parent!

Given the issues that the CWGs is facing, I can’t see it returning to a larger programme of sports, this trimmed down event is probably going to be the template if they attempt a 2030. Although with GB, Canada and Australia all having strong diving programmes, I can see there being pressure to reintroduce it

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back