2024 US Nationals MAG Preview

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

OnoNoKomachi

Staff member
Defender
Did the organizers just disrespect Paul Juda by leaving only him from the 2023 world team off the press conference? Or is there another behind the scenes reason they would do that?

They picked the 5 biggest names for the press conference, don't see anything abnormal there.

I read somewhere Brody Malone is doing a Liukin on HB. He started swinging long before he was cleared for dismounts so I’ll bet he’s added some to the routine from 2022.

Pretty nasty not to also include Juda, he helped the team to bronze last year and made vault and high bar finals, finishing 5th in both. Which is a better finish than Asher Hong (19th AA, 6th PB) or Yul who only qualified to PB finishing 8th.

They picked the 5 biggest names for the press conference, don't see anything abnormal there.
I don’t think it’s abnormal. It’s just that with Brody back, everyone’s already assuming at least one of the five of last year’s world team is not going to make the Olympic team. Was it not possible to have a 6th chair at the press conference to avoid the visual that Paul’s swapped out for Brody?

Yeah I hate that the assumption is Paul will be out. There’s still a couple of competitions this weekend plus Trials.

The issue with Juda is relatively low difficulty compared to the others.
We have no idea what Malone will look like on FX, VT, or HB. I anticipate he will be fine. He did well on what he has competed on so far this year. He is planning some 35 + D score. That might work out, but we will see. He tried to compete a big D jump in D score a few years ago, I think at Pan Ams or something, and it was a disaster.
I think he will be OK this time, but time will tell.
One area where Malone is ahead of Juda is still rings, and the US doesn't have great depth on that event.
The word on the street is Juda is not planning to compete the YDP.
Juda isn't out of it by any means.

Who knows why Juda wasn't in that picture. I'm not reading too much into it.

Well, we know now: Brody is back on top. And it was not even close in the end. He looked like a champion tonight.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back