2023 coaching changes and athlete transfer portal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Mackenzie Caquatto is now an assistant at UNC, leaving a head coach position open at Simpson college.

Mackenzie Caquatto is now an assistant at UNC, leaving a head coach position open at Simpson college.
Caquatto was an asst. at Simpson, Emily Barrett Payne is the head coach.

Ah thanks for the correction. I thought when the Simpson staff was announced last year that she was HC.

Ah thanks for the correction. I thought when the Simpson staff was announced last year that she was HC.
No problem.
I has suspected that Caquatto wouldn’t be at Simpson for too long a year or two max. But with the new rule allowing for a 3rd paid assistant I assumed she would get snapped up by a D1 program.
UNC makes complete sense, and I do believe that we are going to see ACC teams push more now that gymnastics is being sponsored.
Won’t be surprised if at the end of next season another ACC team starts a program.

Last edited:
Arayah Simons (Illinois) taking her 5th year at Pitt.

Michigan hires Cali Harden aa an assistant coach. She was a grad student coach at EMU.

Iowa State rounds out it’s coaching staff with Ryan Snider and retains Haylee Young. I wonder if Sam Snider will be working with Iowa St in some capacity as well since she is married to Ryan. I doubt they’d want to spend most of the year long-distance, but I guess anything’s possible.

Mizzou hires Jackie Terpak as an assistant. She was a volunteer coach at Arkansas.

Miles-Grieg can hire a 3rd assistant, so perhaps Sam will join her husband. They have young children so maybe Sam will do something else and spend time with the children more?
IDK.

Lyden Saltness switches her commitment from Auburn to Illinois.

Didn’t she graduate high school this spring? Crazy late in the game to switch.

Yeah a great gain for Illinois, between Saltness and Nilsson for AC, things are looking up for Illinois.

Reactions: nog
She also signed an NLI for Auburn. Everything I’ve read about NLIs makes it sound like they’re legally binding, so idk how she was able to work around that. I agree with irich that it’s a great steal for Illinois.

Auburn had to have agreed to release her. There’s a story here, and I’m dying to know it.

The Graba twins wouldn’t screw with each other, right? I think I read somewhere that Lyden was good
friends with Suní so Suní leaving Auburn might have had her rethinking.
I wonder who Auburn will sign in her place?

Eta Formatting on this was weird because the cursor wasn’t where I was typing.

Last edited:
Someone on Reddit is claiming to have insider info. From what this person is saying, everyone else’s best guess is that they needed her scholarship for a 5th year so they were either backed out of the NLI on the basis of injury or told her that once she got there they were going to medically retire her.

If true, that sucks. A NLI is a binding contract. For a school to attempt to get out of their commitment like that makes me see red.

I hope she kicks ass at Illinois.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back