2023 coaching changes and athlete transfer portal

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

The best part is when she has to look at her neighbors to figure out how to use the starting blocks. Bless.

It absolutely is but she at least has some experience after being a graduate assistant at LSU. Coaches hire their spouses all the time so it doesn’t seem much different to that.

It absolutely is but she at least has some experience after being a graduate assistant at LSU. Coaches hire their spouses all the time so it doesn’t seem much different to that.
Parent hiring their child is different than a married coaching team coming together on a team, especially when one of the coaches is head coach.

Yeah, I have to think that if a college hires one spouse in a both-spouses-coach family, the understanding is that the other spouse will get some sort of job there too, eventually. Because you are essentially locking them out of other jobs. It isn’t like one spouse can coach at LSU while the other coaches at Maryland. I guess they could go to a local private gym if there is one nearby but that doesn’t seem to be the usual route. Now, what happens when one spouse is a great coach and the other is a terrible one, how do you let just one go in that case without poisoning the other?

Also, I know people working in the family business is a thing but no way am I taking my first big professional job from a parent unless I am inheriting the business at some point. Is anyone going to take you seriously?

Yeah, I have to think that if a college hires one spouse in a both-spouses-coach family, the understanding is that the other spouse will get some sort of job there too, eventually. Because you are essentially locking them out of other jobs. It isn’t like one spouse can coach at LSU while the other coaches at Maryland
Especially if the married couple have children, the family wants to remain together.
That was the primary reason Joanne Bowers left Washington and ended up at San Jose State, so she could be back with her husband and children as a family.

LIU is cooked as a program.

They need to change the entire staff if they want it to survive.

Some recent updates:

Nya Reed to UCLA for her 5th year according to her LinkedIn profile, though no official announcement from her or UCLA. I saw a bunch of speculation that this was happening earlier this year, but I’d written it off as wishful thinking. Nya Reed - Gymnast - University of Florida | LinkedIn

Jah’Liyah Bedminster (LIU) to Pitt. @ncaa.gym.future on Instagram: "Jah'Liyah Bedminster transfers to Pitt. She spent the past three seasons at LIU and has two years of eligibility remaining. #ncaagymtransfers #ncaagymcommits"

On the bright side, LIU probably now holds the record for most transfers in a single year. Go sharks?!

Danielle Press (Nebraska) to Iowa St. She’s been off Nebraska’s roster the last two years, so it’s nice to see her get picked up. CycloneGym on Instagram: "Straight off the 𝐏𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐬 📰 Danielle is a Cyclone!"

Nya could actually replace Chiles scores on floor and vault, which would be huge for UCLA this year

I think youre getting a bit in dreamland there. Yes, Nya has a 1.5 and yes she is a powerful tumbler, but she is not Chiles. She hasnt even competed in a over a year so who knows, I know she was at UF during the off year, I know she wasnt training with the team, and I know there are no gyms in Gainesville that can really offer a training space. Nya is a nice addition, no doubt and assuming she returns to some of her competition form, she will see some line-ups, and help the team, but even on her best days she was not up to an olympic medalist.

Margzetta Frazier taking her 6th year!

I agree, we don’t know the level she’ll be at considering the time off. That said, if she can get back to her 2022 level, she was regularly getting 9.9+ on vault and the entire season went 9.9+ on floor, many times getting 9.95+, including 2 tens. I’m down with the idea that getting back to that level would be a stretch but if she can, those numbers are in the same range of what Chiles produced this past year.

Anyone see that Moceanu applied for the Kent State coaching job? Sounds like she is calling them out for saying they wanted someone younger and then never called her to let her know their decision. Spoiler-She didnt get it.

Yeah, and I thought her tweet was tasteless and insincere in her congratulations. She decided to spoil Josie Angeny’s big day.

Last edited:
Im not sure what her end game is. I cant imagine why anyone would want the headache of someone who does that. But, i also wonder why they didnt hire her, cant possibly be age.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back