2022 Worlds Liverpool (TV listings) now at post #1

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

FIG and USAG need better contract negotiators. That is, if they give a :poop:.

@Passion
I read here and there that the past lack of coverage is due to contracts with NBC. When USAG didn’t show us something it was because they had a contract with NBC. But I’d be happy to hear your explanation of it.

Last edited:
But that’s true of every gymnastics fed, not just USAG. I mean, BG is hosting Worlds, so why don’t they just stream it free for everyone? Because BBC has the rights. Same for other countries – e.g. apparently German TV stations have the rights but aren’t airing Worlds at all, and the DTB probably still can’t stream it.

Last edited:
I’m not saying other national organizations couldn’t do something or that they aren’t in the picture. If they (any of them) want to please their fans or gain new fans they need to find a way. Otherwise they don’t give a :poop:.

Last edited:
So there is literally zero way to watch podium training or prelims, at all, anywhere!?!!!

Apparently not.
Euros normally has decent coverage (when it works, but at least they try…) so why people think nobody would watch prelims is a mystery

So there is literally zero way to watch podium training or prelims, at all, anywhere!?!!!
Yep, zero. Except for a few videos here and there, but there isn’t a feed that various broadcasters can use like there has been in the past.

I cannot understand why both gymnastics bodies (FIG I’m looking at you) and broadcasters absolutely hate gymnastics fans 🤨

The sport does not want to be popular.

When I win the lottery folks I’m going to set up my own gymnastics channel playing reruns of Olympics/World/Euros/NCAA etc 24/7.

And on Sunday evenings at 8.00pm we can re-hash who should have won the AA in 1988 and 1992!

So when NBC does their compliation broadcast, they are going to have nothing from qualifications and only TF and AA finals? What happens if someone lands a triple-mega-shaposh or something in qualifications? There won’t be any record of it anywhere (except from people who have managed to sneak a camera into the arena)? Crazy.

It’s completely ridiculous. This is the biggest gymnastics event of the year, and the majority of the routines will not be filmed. Most of the competitors will not make any finals, so no one in their countries will ever be able to see them compete, not their friends, family, no one. How do the FIG think they are growing a sport that no one can watch? Why are the national federations OK with this?

It’s also ridiculous because the British Championships are held at the same venue, and every routine is filmed and available to watch on a free app, including all the junior categories. But when it’s the World Championships nobody cares enough to even just point at a camera at the apparatus?

We know this is a problem far from unique to this event as well. This year there have been Continental Championships and FIG World Cups with the only source of information being a PDF file posted after the event. Gymnasts who competed at the Asian Championships (which was additionally held in an almost completely empty arena) will have competed at two major championships this year without anyone being able to see it. Watanabe Morinari claims to be all about digital innovation, but six years into his Presidency the FIG doesn’t even understand video streaming (invented c. 1995).

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

During the past few years of Covid times, when competitions resumed but some venues still had capacity limits, many age group meets in the USA had streaming set up for a fee, usually $4.99 or so. iPads on tripods set up by each event. Grandma in Miami could watch 6 year old level 2 Susie’s back hip circles on bars and cartwheels on floor in San Jose. That we won’t get to watch the competition that decides which of the best gymnast in the world get to compete in the medal rounds of World Championships is baffling to me.

Local (😉) TV listings

Tuesday, 1 November

Women’ s team final

17:45-21:00 -BBC iPlayer/BBC Sport website & app

19:05-21:00 - BBC Three

Wednesday, 2 November

Men’s team final

17:45-21:00 - BBC iPlayer/BBC Sport website & app

19:00-21:00 - BBC Two

Thursday, 3 November

Women’s all-around final

18:10-21:00 -BBC iPlayer/BBC Sport website & app

19:05-21:00 - BBC Three

Friday, 4 November

Men’s all-around final

17:45-21:00 - BBC Red Button/BBC Player/BBC Sport website & app

Saturday, 5 November

Apparatus finals: Women’s - vault, uneven bars; Men’s - floor, pommel horse, rings

13:15-17:45 - BBC iPlayer/BBC Sport website & app

14:05-17:45 - BBC Two

Sunday, 6 November

Apparatus finals: Women’s - balance beam, floor; Men’s - vault, parallel bars, horizontal bar

13:15-17:45, BBC iPlayer/BBC Sport website & app

13:15-16:35, BBC One

16:35-17:45, BBC Two

The pandemic-restricted competitions certainly demonstrated what was possible.

I’m tired of sports like gymnastics and figure skating getting the shaft in 2022. I wish I could say it’s just NBC, and maybe for figure skating it’s just NBC, but it seems like gymnastics isn’t valued by any networks.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back