2022 World Gymnastics Championships WAG All Around Final (Thursday 11/03)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I recall chatting with @irichluck21 during the competition and the two of us swore she was going to get downgraded. Especially when the camera showed how the judges’ video was paused at her landing showing how short she was.

As far as I recall they didn’t downgrade a single short vault that actually got stood up that Olympics. It was ridiculous.

Last edited:
Plus she didn’t drop her heel before she completed the rotation. Forwards, admittedly, but I’ll argue she was ahead of her time.

I recall chatting with @irichluck21 during the competition and the two of us swore she was going to get downgraded. Especially when the camera showed how the judges’ video was paused at her landing showing how short she was.
I remember that chat!
Especially when other Amanars that quad had been devalued with similar shortness on landing.

Correct. Thank goodness that didn’t cost them the title.

Last edited:
Yeah, that was ridiculous that they downgraded that. Her body is facing front and it looks like one foot landed crooked causing that off-balance step. Shawn was facing the judges’ table when she landed hers.
It was so fucking short tho. I totally had Yilin in silver.
I’m okay with the standings only because it’s likely Yang Yilin was underage. Otherwise, a solid argument could be made that Yang should have silver and Shawn bronze and a further argument could be made that Shawn should have been off the medal podium entirely and Ksenia Semenova in bronze position.

Last edited:
They did have a rule change on downgrading between Aarhus and Beijing, I forget what exactly but it was less strict.

I think we’re about due for another go-round with the debate over Shawn’s Amanar
It was never as under as some people tried to make it out - “landed sideways”. She landed on the diagonal at worst. The execution was overscored though.

It was pushing 45 degrees short

Just about. The left shoulder is far back.
She was great about disguising it with the step forward to bring her shoulders around.

Yeah bent arms on her BHS is something that might often get overlooked but it is pretty legit to take with both Gadirovas. Their BHS really sink into the floor god knows how they can tumble like that.

Aren’t there a couple of moments in that routine where you could also take a pause deduction?

There was a deduction. .1 for a slow connection.

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back