2022-2024 WAG Routine Construction Thread

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

As much as Nastia struggled getting her twisting all the way around, her double salto ability was way worse. There was a reason we never saw her compete backwards double saltos.

That actually seems to be a running theme among Valeri-coached gymnasts. Bross had a nice tucked full out as a junior, but it disappeared in favor of the double front as a senior. (I wonder why?) The gymnasts who were strong at back double salto transferred to Valerie after they went elite.

Not exclusive to Valeri, it was frequently an issue for Marchenko’s gymnasts as well. I wonder if is indicative of some sort of failure at the lower levels, or because WOGA tends to favor a specific body type without too much focus on core strength.

I think the ankle thing / front landings was a big thing in Valeri’s gym.

I don’t think there’s a particular body type bias at WOGA, they’ve had a range of different body types and one could hardly call Rebecca and Nastia similar. I guess the gymnast most similar to Nastia would be Khorkina and she had very similar strengths and weaknesses

Did Ivana Hong have her double front after she went to WOGA? Hers was quite lovely.

I don’t think Nastia lacked the ability to throw a double tuck and double pike as first and second passes. It just did not make sense as she was able to do much harder twisting skills/combinations. Her double front was very high, it was just the huge cowboy that made it ugly.

The lack of double salto was definitely more than .1 in Beijing. I don’t remember whether it was .3 or .5 though.

Even in Beijing?
I managed to find some old WTC newsletters from 2006 and it looks like a double salto become an EGR sometime in the April - June timeframe. The April newsletter has questions asking whether a full-in could satisfy both the double salto and twisting salto composition requirements, and the sample judging slip does not contain a double salto as one of the EGRs on floor. However, the June newsletter has questions covering the treatment of a full-in for EGR purposes, so it was most likely changed then.

I believe Liukin first attempted the double front on floor at the U.S. Classic, which was held in late July of 2006, so the adjustment was made to comply with the COP updates.

Last edited:
It just wasn’t worth it to do the full out in that code as she got so much bonus in CV doing her other passes:

Front lay+ double front+ stag= .3
1.5+front double full + jump= .3
2.5+front full = .2

That floor routine was one of the smarter moves by Valeri (when she hit). It got her the bronze in AA at worlds after her beam fall in 2010.

I managed to find some old WTC newsletters from 2006 and it looks like a double salto become an EGR sometime in the April - June timeframe. The April newsletter has questions asking whether a full-in could satisfy both the double salto and twisting salto composition requirements, and the sample judging slip does not contain a double salto as one of the EGRs on floor. However, the June newsletter has questions covering the treatment of a full-in for EGR purposes, so it was most likely changed then.

I believe Liukin first attempted the double front on floor at the U.S. Classic, which was held in late July of 2006, so the adjustment was made to comply with the COP updates.
Yes - a double salto wasn’t an EGR/CR until the 2009-2012 COP. The penalty for not performing a double salto was only a 0.1 composition deduction.
Right. So midway through 2006 it became a 0.5 EGR.

Last edited:
Yeah, I was responding to Robin re: Rebecca Bross, particularly in 2010. I might’ve accidentally quoted someone else lol it’s hard for me with this board format.

I just wanna say - thank God for the new harsh body shape deductions.

I had forgotten quite how bad Aly’s positions were.

I know she cleaned up quite a bit prior to Rio, but this was just not acceptable:

That stag jump out of the Dos Santos alone would be a borderline 3.

Last edited:
Didn’t she rightly get hammered and not make any finals?

She didn’t make any finals, but she didn’t exactly get hammered, either. If not for going OOB, she would have made floor finals. She finished 5th in AA qualification, and if not for a fall on bars, she would have been in finals.

This got a 7.466 e score. You cannot tell me a hit routine deserved to be in the 8.4-8.5 range.

Her gymnastics really was just so fucking ugly.

Last edited:
Didn’t she rightly get hammered and not make any finals?
8.233 E Score ! And they barely changed the E Score deductions on floor between the Rio and Tokyo codes, other than body shape.

Last edited:
I had completely forgotten about the DLO + split jump in Glasgow.

My favorite was the double pike + “split” 1/2 she attempted at Nationals:

Can you imagine is she competed in this past quad and we were subjected to multiple wolf turns on floor and beam? Jordan Chiles would have looked wonderful in comparison!

You’d think Mihai would have pulled the dance elements if she was actually being hammered for them.

Her double L turn and Gogean were actually good tho. They took out the split jump 1/2 and the swing ring thankfully

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Upcoming events

Back