2021 World WAG AA Finals (10/21/21)

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

I think that nicely proves that getting up for two hours in the middle of the night does not improve my cognitive abilities!

I didn’t wake up for it but yay Gelya!

Now she has Olympic Team Gold and a World AA title. She looks great here on beam… makes me wonder if that’ll be her event final title. I think she’s going to get one more gold here.

I don’t feel surprised that Kayla’s not planning for Paris. She gives the feeling of someone who will retire from elite after this competition and start getting ready for college for with solid elite achievements under her belt. It’s a big ask for any of the US girls (who have college as an alternative) who went through this cycle to go through it again so soon for Paris, especially the ones who went for Worlds. It’s not going to feel like they can do the usual relax for a couple of years and come back strong–it’s just going to feel like a three year slog. Wong strikes me as a little more likely to try for it–she seems to enjoy intensity–but I don’t really expect her to try for it either.

I think the 2024 team is going to be heavily influenced by (maybe or maybe not made up of, but influenced by) the 2006 girls who have been pretty off the radar between the lack of competitions and the fact every time they have competed this year, we haven’t been able to see any of it because of Flo.

Last edited:
of all the gymnasts that have come through her gym, Kelli Hill gets her first world AA medalist in Kayla diCello
That’s crazy but also reminds me of some Russians like khorkina, prod, Zamo or pavlova et al Have no team gold yet the Russians of 2010 and 2021 do

I don’t feel surprised that Kayla’s not planning for Paris. She gives the feeling of someone who will retire from elite after this competition and start getting ready for college for with solid elite achievements under her belt. It’s a big ask for any of the US girls (who have college as an alternative) who went through this cycle to go through it again so soon for Paris, especially the ones who went for Worlds. It’s not going to feel like they can do the usually relax for a couple of years and come back strong–it’s just going to feel like a three year slog. Wong strikes me as a little more likely to try for it–she seems to enjoy intensity–but I don’t really expect her to try for it either.
Plus also Leanne is someone who’s had massive unrealised potential. She has to be at least somewhat aware of that. Kayla on the other hand, you wouldn’t look at her and think this is a gymnast who ought to have achieved so much more with what she had. She could have been an Olympian, it wouldn’t have been a surprise, but she’s not a walking tragedy like Leanne was until this week. Going off to college as an Olympic alternate and a world AA medallist is brilliant for her.

Good for Leanne hitting 2 full meets. I’m also proud of Melnikova. I thought she was supposed to be pushed aside by the young Russians but she has had quite a year.

With work and having stayed up until 11, I couldn’t get up early enough to watch, but I’m happy for the medalists.

Last edited:
Reactions: L_R
My favorite part: sorting everyone by e scores!

All Around
RankNameE ScoreOverall
1Wong34.242
2Melnikova34.0321
3Urazova32.7984
4DiCello32.4663
5Viser32.2265
6Stacey31.83315
7Martins31.7997
8Shin31.36611
9Wei31.1996
10Hubereva31.19914
11Slevin31.03219
12Fenton30.99917
13Bachynska30.93310
14Ceplinschi30.89816
15Heduit30.6659
16Al D’Amato30.5828
17Lee30.49913
18Maennersdorfer30.49822
19As D’Amato30.39912
20Bacskay30.36521
21Woo30.09918
22Williams30.03223
23Serber29.83320
24Siegenthaler29.33224
Ruby Stacey finished 15th but had the 6th best execution. Emma Slevin was 19th but 11th in execution. Conversely, the D’Amato twins had the biggest drop in execution compared to where they actually finished.

So Wong had a 9.041 E Score for vault. Which means E Panel intervention.

I’ve played around a bit with the numbers, I think the most likely scenario is E Jury 8.933 (middle 3 - probably 8.9, 8.9, 9.0) and R Jury 9.15 (average - so probably 9.1 and 9.2).

Interestingly, this range is beyond the allowed delta (which is funny because if the E Jury was those 5 scores, you’d have an E score of 9.00). So I think it probable the R Panel kicked in in Leanne’s favor and gave her over a tenth E bump.

I had her vault at a 9.1.

Last edited:
What was your overall score for her? You have to think that if she had performed like this through trials and the rest had been accurately judged that Leanne would 100% been on that team.

Last edited:
Best floor Leanne’s ever done, IMO.

Judges had both Melnikova and Wong at an 8.333. I had Melnikova 8.1 and Leanne 8.3.

Going by my Tokyo AA scores, I would have had DiCello in 8th and Wong in 5th behind Urazova (assuming I agreed with the FIG bars score) in the Olympic AA final.

Last edited:
I can’t believe Leanne hit two AA competitions in a row. I’m thrilled for her. I hope this gives her more confidence and gets herself a floor medal.
I am thrilled for her too. I think she was overlooked by many before and I had some Olympic dreams for her. But she is coming into her own now.

Considering Urazova was counting falls, thats very impressive.
Also strange to see a British Gymnast 6th in E score!

Talk Gymnastics With Us!

Join Today... Members See FEWER Ads

Back